robo22sri

What's the heap worth!

You're thinking of the oil. The coolant system holds nearer 10 litres. Agreed with toohottotrot, 2 bottles of G12+ is about right. 50/50 is far too concentrated for the UK mate. Too much glycol actually reduces water's heatsoaking ability.

Where abouts in Colchester do you live? I think I should have a look at this car and try and put your mind to rest!

I live in basildon bud, i would love someone else to have a look :D

I dont mind popping up to colchester at the weekend so you can have a look over it! will even give you a beer :lol:

Ahh you're in Basildon! Are you in support of Dale farm, or against it? :lol:

Who was it I was speaking to in Colchester then?! I could have sworn it was you! I think the Alzheimers is kicking in a bit early, or I need more oily fish in my life :lol:

Can't do this weekend but can next!

Ahh you're in Basildon! Are you in support of Dale farm, or against it? :lol:

Who was it I was speaking to in Colchester then?! I could have sworn it was you! I think the Alzheimers is kicking in a bit early, or I need more oily fish in my life :lol:

Can't do this weekend but can next!

Travellers! They will only end up somewhere else lol

I will be up for meeting next weekend mate, I will get my mate to do the head gasket test in the week and find out if there is any gases in the coolant bottle

True, keep em in Dale farm otherwise they might migrate up to my area :lol:

OK mate, let me know how it goes. BTW, I've got all the bits to sort your coolant tank loom.

True, keep em in Dale farm otherwise they might migrate up to my area :lol:

OK mate, let me know how it goes. BTW, I've got all the bits to sort your coolant tank loom.

Awesome bud :)

I will PM you in the week :)

G12+ waters down 50/50 doesnt it? so its 6 litres total for the cooling system?

You're thinking of the oil. The coolant system holds nearer 10 litres. Agreed with toohottotrot, 2 bottles of G12+ is about right. 50/50 is far too concentrated for the UK mate. Too much glycol actually reduces water's heatsoaking ability.

Where abouts in Colchester do you live? I think I should have a look at this car and try and put your mind to rest!

Guys, I was just reading something online and thought about this thread, thought this might be worth posting:

Fluid - Freezing Point - Boiling Point

Pure Water: 0 C / 32 F - 100 C / 212 F

50/50 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -37 C / -35 F - 106 C / 223 F

70/30 mix of C2H6O2/Water: -55 C / -67 F - 113 C / 235 F

Don't know if anyone wanted to know that :)

EDIT - A bit more (I didn't finish reading before I posted):

The cooling system uses pressure to further raise the boiling point of the coolant. Just as the boiling temperature of water is higher in a pressure cooker, the boiling temperature of coolant is higher if you pressurize the system. Most cars have a pressure limit of 14 to 15 pounds per square inch (psi), which raises the boiling point another 45 F (25 C) so the coolant can withstand the high temperatures.

Taken from here -http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system3.htm

Indeed and from that you can see protection down to -37C is not necessary for the UK :D I've always used 2 bottles of G12 (3 litres) and never had any winter or summer coolant issues. That's a mix of about 70/30 (water/G12) I think. My maths is bloody awful :D

Oh also, a few pages on, they explain that the pressure cap allows for another 25C before boiling. (Just in case anyone is looking at this and interested in the maths).

Well update!

The head gasket is not gone! There were no petrol fumes in the coolant expansion!

There was how ever a lot of air!!! It boiled over and had to add 2 litres of coolant!

Temp has come down abit more but still rising to 100c

There might be an airlock in the coolant system mate. I would replace the matrix, check for other splits n cracks n things and fill up with some fresh coolant!

There might be an airlock in the coolant system mate. I would replace the matrix, check for other splits n cracks n things and fill up with some fresh coolant!

It's ment to of had a new matrix!