cheesy

Moving a car that has no mot or tax---insurance?

I'm looking into getting jims old corrado into the mot sation

Now it has no mot, no tax & isn't insured at the moment

Is it possible to get it insured for a couple of weeks & have it booked just to go to the mot station?

these new laws that have come in i'm not sure about yet with regards to this

Yep no problem. You cant get tax with no MOT. You are allowed to take the car to and from a testing station only.

You've ALWAYS had tax a car or declare it SORN regardless if its insured or not. You can get short term insurance.

EDIT - sorry thought you were on about more then jsut insurance - yeah just get insurance, though if you plan on driving it once MOT'd and taxed why not get long term insurance?

Edited by Critical_Mass

Yep - what they said :) If needs be, get it insured, go get the MOT done and then just cancel the policy within the 14 day "cooling off" period.

Lovely

Thats what i thought

I rang my current insurers to see if i could get a couple of weeks temp cover on the car based on the fact i have 2 full policys with them

but if i understood right couldnt do it in the office but could on there site.

just need to get the cover sorted then in for the mot it goes

Be interested to hear how it goes mate! Hope you haven't found any shockers whilst you've been doing various jobs on it, etc!

I dont get this advertising of new laws regarding insurance and tax. As i said above you've always had to tax a car or declare it off the road, never just expired tax - irregardless of whether the car is insured. I dunno why they're doing this awareness campaign on it.

I've not done much to it as yet matey,

swapped all the brakes over to mine, rear strut brace, wheels

couple other little bits

The arbs are next on the list but gonna get a garage to do this so can go up on the ramps

its good as gold, cv boots the only thing i can see on drivers side

Yup, MoT has to be pre-booked though prior to taking the car onto the road and the journey is specifically made for that purpose. You can't just go and turn up at a MoT station or detour to somewhere else on the way there. Insurance cover is required for the journey.

ETA: Yes you are right, my bad.

Edited by RW1

I dont get this advertising of new laws regarding insurance and tax. As i said above you've always had to tax a car or declare it off the road, never just expired tax - irregardless of whether the car is insured. I dunno why they're doing this awareness campaign on it.

It's that they have changed the law so you now get an automated fine, you don't need the cop's to catch you now just the data base!

Yup, MoT has to be pre-booked though prior to taking the car onto the road and the journey is specifically made for that purpose. You can just go and turn up at a MoT station or detour to somewhere else on the way there. Insurance cover is required for the journey.

I think you mean CAN'T!!!

You can drive to an MOT station without tax.

You can drive home or to a place of repair without tax if it fails the MOT.

If it passes the MOT you legally have to tax the car before taking it home.

I think you mean CAN'T!!!

You can drive to an MOT station without tax.

You can drive home or to a place of repair without tax if it fails the MOT.

If it passes the MOT you legally have to tax the car before taking it home.

Really?? Never knew that it had to be taxed if it passed, before you drive it home. I''ve prob done it before myself.

I had this same question a couple of months back, and found these two web pages that confirm from the horses mouth what is allowed...

driving without tax (bottom of page)

driving without MOT (middle of page)

you must always have insurance, but you can cancel within 14 days with no penalty...

The bit I have never understood (or more accurately, bothered to understand) is that many policies have a clause around valid MOT and or tax, not sure if this would render the policy invalid, or just reduce it to 3rd party liability only. I doubt the police would check the terms of your insurance, more likely they'd just check that there is a live policy on the car; in terms of cover you may want to clarify this depending on how risk averse you are!

HTH

Edited by andycowuk

Really?? Never knew that it had to be taxed if it passed, before you drive it home. I''ve prob done it before myself.

Technically yes, as the car is now MOT'd there is no reason not to tax it. Although you'd be pretty unlucky to find a copper who'd do you for it! The worst I'd expect to receive is a producer to show you taxed it afterwards.

Technically yes, as the car is now MOT'd there is no reason not to tax it. Although you'd be pretty unlucky to find a copper who'd do you for it! The worst I'd expect to receive is a producer to show you taxed it afterwards.

The Direct Gov webpage says:

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

So that says to me it doesn't matter what the outcome of the test is, you can take it home. What if you didn't intend to tax it?

The Direct Gov webpage says:

So that says to me it doesn't matter what the outcome of the test is, you can take it home. What if you didn't intend to tax it?

I agree Andy, it say's and always has......"to and from"..........no ifs, buts or ands.

And I have exactly that situation next week, my MX5 is going for it's mot, which ran out last month, so did the tax. I will get it tested but not tax until 1st October. If I get stopped I can prove the test was pre booked.

Edited by Toohottotrot