Ruck

Audio Advice??? Esp front speakers??

Im about to start doing the audio on the car and want to do it all in one go - so new headunit, front speakers, amp and sub

I already have the sub - a diamon audio 10" which is beautifully boxed.

Plan is to let the headunit run the speakers in then dashboard and the rear ones (which will be changed for macaudio units), and have a 4 channel sub bridged to run the amp and the front speakers.

Does anyone have any advice as to what front speakers are worth going for?

Def want components and am considering some Hertzx Dieci 13's as i dont want to be messing about with door builds and spacers for 15's - unless its an easy fix?

Also - whats the mounting depth like? Had probs in the past on cars where speakers never sat properly.

Thanks,

My advice is regarding the crossovers. Decide where you want to fit them and look at the sizes before choosing your comp's. Some of the pricier comp kits have enormous x-overs which would take some fitting!

I bought a set of Alpines and mounted the x-overs next to the mid behind the window switch (later cards). Some pics here...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51423-Pete-s-VR-OEM-17-quot-Speedlines-are-on-(p5)-but-the-air-is-thin-at-this-altitude&p=723585&viewfull=1#post723585

This made it easier for me to use the standard cables into the doors as I really didn't want to pull them out and start fiddling behind the dash. I just scrapped the dash speakers, taped up the cables and to be honest I much prefer the tweeters in the mirror pods for sound.

Yep!!

I was looking at your thread a bit earlier - realy like the way the components sit there - neat and tidy!!

Prob go the same route, but after some reading maybe wise for me not to bother with the rears (though some back fill isnt bad)

I wouldnt bother spending good money on speakers like hertz, focal, mb quart if your not going to amp them!

its a waste of money!

If i wa you i would buy a nice 5 channel amp to run your full system off ;)

I have focal 165v 30 and i run them off a inphase 2 channel amp ;)

Nooooo... Front components DEF being amped!! Otherwise totally agree - be an utter waste!!

Really gutted talkaudio forum for sale section is utter crap these days - used to get some great deals in there!

get some ovals to fit in the standard rear spot, i am about to mod some C front speaker pods tom fit my 17cm focals in :D

Plan is to let the headunit run the speakers in then dashboard and the rear ones (which will be changed for macaudio units), and have a 4 channel sub bridged to run the amp and the front speakers

I presume you mean bridging the amp to run the sub and front speakers! In my opinion, if you're gonna buy components then why not amplify both the dash tweeters and the main front woofers? Just seems a bit odd to me amplifying just the main speakers and letting the headunit power the tweeters. I'm not sure how that setup would work anyway. My crossovers only have one input channel so if you had signals coming from both the headunit and the amp then I don't think you could have both going into the crossover. And if you sent the signal directly to the tweeter speaker and bypassed the crossover altogether then that would negate the point of having the crossover in the first place. Bridging the 4 channel amp will be fine and is what I do. I've got my crossovers sitting behind the glovebox. There's not a lot of room behind there really so they sit there pretty snugly and don't move about. I run Rainbow SLC 230's as my front speakers and they sound lovely. And a Rockford Fosgate sub in a sealed enclosure. I don't have any sound sent to the rear speakers as I don't see any point.

Edited by G_Dub

I bought the rears simply because they were cheap and on sale for under £20 at the time.

I have the fade up front though so they are probably barely on to be honest!

Right...

Amps have been bought ...

And yep - dash speakers will be disconnected def dont see any point in keeping them going forward.

Just need to get some front speakers now, headunit and some dynamat ..... then time to start stripping.

Will change the rears for some alpipne 6x4's as they dirt cheap and just to provide some rear fill

He he and I'd argue that unless you mount the front speakers onto a solid base, top brand units are still a waste of money, even if amped :D The stock Corrado door pockets are about as flimsy and useless a baffle as you can get and at 5 1/4", not even the best of the best will make much of an overall improvement (imo).

There definitely is no substitute for size where speakers are concerned and Audioscape door pods and 6" 2 ways are the way forward but I don't think you can get them anymore!

Yeah I know what you mean about the cross-overs Pete!! With mine I took all the components off the stupidly oversized boards, soldered them up in a much smaller package and shoved em under the dash..... then I found all you need is a 3.3 or 4.7uf capacitor for the tweeter and you can run the mains as full range and bin the crossovers off completely. You can also do that if you bi-amp from a tasty head unit like the Alpine 9835R. Can you still get that? What a unit that was.....mmmmm...

Right ..

Kenwood headunit was fitted this afternoon - and speakers bought.

Some stunning JL audio bits ... but!!! wont mount properly as too deep so having to rethink that little plan unless they are fitted in from the front with some 9mm MDF spacers.