Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

40mm Lowering....

Want to lower my standard suspenion set up by about 40mm (not a fan of the slammed look, nor the off-road look either). Trouble is I only fairly recently put new gas shocks/bump stops etc all round, so all I want to do is replace the springs. Is this possible without changing the shocks or anything else. As it's only a moderate drop I'm hoping to get away with just swapping lowering springs in. Finally can anyone recommend a good source of 40mm drop springs that aren't going to giver a harsh ride, and aren't majorly pricey....

do a search for 'suspension' 'springs' 'shocks' any of those and there is loads that has already been talked about...

but very briefly... you could probably get away just springs but no lower than 40mm. even then the shocks will probably not last as long as they should on standard springs so uprated shocks may be needed in the future.

H&R (30mm) Koni (40mm) or Eibach (40mm i think) would do the trick

Uprated springs on standard rate dampers is not recommended. If you're going to do it, do it right first time and I'm afraid that means digging deeply into the wallet :cry:

K

Uprated springs on standard rate dampers is not recommended. If you're going to do it, do it right first time and I'm afraid that means digging deeply into the wallet :cry:

K

Hear Hear Kev... I made the stupid mistake of skimping on the suspension when I first got my G60, and although it looked nice with it's 35mm drop, it's ride quality was reduced to that of an old cart and the handling to that of a skip... :oops: :roll: :(

I've since put a set of supersport coilovers on and am soooo happy with 'em.... 8)

The moral is, don't think that a cheap option will do you for the short term... it's better to wait a little while longer and get some quality kit than to just go for the cheapest option and then have to change it a few months later... :?

If I were you, I'd live with what you've got until you have saved enough to get a quality kit of both shocks and springs which you'll be happy with... 8)

I would have to agree with henny. When i first got my g60, suspension was knackered, and i made the mistake a buying a second hand setup with just lowering springs which was only a year old but this made the car handle like a dog. Now got the supersport coilovers ( Cheers Henny ) so much better. Be a little bit careful with standard dampers and short springs.