webbywagon

Steering Rack

I seem to have developed a big leak of power steering fluid. It seems to be coming from the drivers side but i cant see where. Is this a common fault. Mine is a 91 G60 with a 20VT conversion. I prefer to do as much as i can myself before having to take it into a garage, its the only way to learn about your car, i believe. Any info would be cool, thanks.

It could be the solid lines going in to the rack. They rust rather badly so thats the first place I'd check. Hit it with a pressure washer to clean it up so that you can see where the leak is, or take it to a jet wash.

If it is the lines then you can use mk3 lines as replacements, as they are easier to find and usually in better condition. They need a little modification to fit, but its quite simple.

There is a seal kit listed in Etka so you could rebuild it if it is the rack itself thats leaking, but you do need to make some special tools to do it.

If you want to replace it then mk2 is a direct fit. Mk3 and Corrado VR6 will also fit but you need the UJ from the bottom of the column as the splines on the rack are different. If you get the rack off a plus suspension (5-bolt) car then you will need to use your G60 tie rods as the plus ones are longer.

:)

Thanks, great info. I have just finished jet washing it on your advice. I will investigate first thing in the morning. Its taken me half a day to get my siezed calipers off, drove me barmy. But there off, so just the rack to investigate tomoz.

Ok even though its pi$$ing down i managed to see the problem. Looks like the metal pipes are leaking from the unions and the short one is leaking where it goes directly into the rack body. So looks like new metal pipes, could have been worse.