rubberdubber

VR6 MFA vacuum hose

Hi all

the MPG reading on my mfa has stopped working on my vr6, had a look under the bonnet and the hose that comes through the bulk head has a plastic canister, looks like a fuel filter but without any filter inside it. This had melted on the manifold. ive fitted a new bit of pipe by-passing the melted canister and the mpg reading works again. Any ideas what the canister is for? do i need to get another?

cheers all :)

been having a search on here and seems all of you other vr6 owners have electronic controlled MPG gauges. confused, mines definately vacuum.

Mines a 1992 K reg 2.9 v6 with an ABV engine.

im guessing the canister is to stabilise the vacuum to give an accurate reading for the MPG gauge but again if anyone is in the know it would be very helpfull. cheers

VR6s get their mpg from the ECU (injector on time). The only canisters VR6s have that I'm aware of is the carbon canister down in the inner wing under the airbox.

Post some pics up!

here it is, looks like a inline fuel filter but has no filter inside. the rest of it is melted onto the manifold! ha! but there was definately no filter inside it, just hollow. this pipe then goes into the car through the bulkhead. any ideas?

8d5c314e.jpg

cheers chaps :)

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

1 side goes through the bulkhead, the other pushes onto the brake servo hose

cheers

Interesting, not what I expected. Yes, the back would be usefull and the part number on the white sticker, usually above the speedo on the white back casing outer top face.

God knows what that melted bit is mate but it's not a standard VR6 part! Looks like one of them inline fuel filters for carburettor engines that's been gutted internally!

Genuine VR6 clocks!

What suggest you do with the broken part is just substitute a large petrol filter as bought and connect the two end pipes to it. The internal filter won't matter as it will remain clean and therefore free flowing.

Why its fitted? Most vacuum MPG connection to the brake servo pipe don't have it. Most likely use to dampen the surges in vacuum on the VR6. Maybe found something wrong with the readings the system was giving on the VR6. If it serves that purpose you will soon find out with MPG readings in the stored memory (kept ones) reading incorrectly.

The substitute tubing you have used needs to be a rigid type that won't collapse. There is upto 1 Bar (15 psi) vacuum in the pipe.

The black unit on the back of the instrument panel is quite expensive at £150ish, and is common to other engines like 8 valvers. So rather than develop a new part to solve, they made do with an additional part to overcome the short comings on the VR6. Knowing the engine ECU would take over the MPG in later cars, to develop of a new vacuum sensor for a short run may not have been cost economical. Who knows :shrug:

cheers man, i was thinking fuel filter, wasnt sure if the vacuum would travel through the filter.

ile give it some miles and see how it is with and without a fuel filter.

glad there vr6 clocks was beginning to wonder if i had abit of a mismatch ha!