Simon vr6

Help Major Water Leak!!!!

Hi can anyone give any advice on the water leak i have? It seems to be coming for the back of the engine and causing a lot of steam coming from the bonnet.

Thanks

Where round the back of the engine? there's a large diameter pipe connected to the back right of the engine block, just right of the ISV (assuming its a VR judging by your username). Anymore details would help fella? If its round the back right side of the engine it sounds like its just a water pipe - just replace. But more info would be good :D

Hi Thanks for replying! Just had a nother look and it seems to be coming for the pipe that is directly opposite the oil cap. You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge, as you can tell I am not a very technical person when it comes to my VR6

Opposite towards the back? Thats the only water pipe connected there - Is the pipe split? if so you'll need to just replace the pipe. As a VERY temp fix you could go to somewhere like halfords and get some special tape for such applications - but ive used it on a small hole on one of the water pipes and it didnt work very well - so on a larger hole there's no chance.

Yeah towards the back. Yeah pipe is split, water is coming out pretty quickly. Its split right at the top. Do you think i will be able to drive it to a garage? When i arrived home there was loads of steam coming out the bonnet!

If you are losing that much water that quickly do not attempt to drive it to the garage ,unless its very close to you . Would have thought your temp light is flashing at you on the dash ?.

the garage is about 6 miles away! When i turn the ignition on the temp light isn't flashing at me, but i had only just filled it up and the engine didnt overheat when it started it steaming, the temp was at 92 degrees. Is the water pipe easy to replace?

Just done a search as my memory is terrible. Its the pipe going from the bulk head to the engine and has a thin "T" pipe also going to the throttle body. Had mine split where the pipe bulges. Cost me £45 to replace. Still it will last for another 17 years :D - was only a thin split but water pished out of it.

Just thought I would let you know I have fixed the water leak! Got the part from VW and took an hour to fit. Thanks for your help guys! Much appreciated :)