Sign in to follow this  
rallyeman

knocking when cornering!

Yesterday I removed my 9x16 alloys and replaced them with the standard ones, now there is a pronounced knocking noise when going round lefthand bends :cry: . I imagine that I just could not here it amongst all the other knocking and banging that I got with the wide wheels on, so canging the wheels is prob unrelated.

What do you think this noise could be, it is a quite loud, but dull sounding knock knock sound that increases with speed, I can also feel it in the footwell. I cannot hear or feel it at all below 15mph. When going straight there is no noticeable noise or knock, but as soon as the wheels are turned the slightest bit to the left the noise appears.

What are the possibilities? CV joint(s)? Driveshaft? ball joints? Anti-roll bar bushes? Top mounts? Any ideas? My car is a Rallye as the name suggests.

Another topic, how can you tell if your cars has body work done during its life, what are the tell tale signs?

Thanks

Dont know if the rallye has one but check the driveshafts to see if the vibration dampener has come loose.

I had this exact problem about a week ago - didnt happen when I went slowly round corners, the fella who works on my car said it was something on the drive shaft had slipped down (doughnut shaped disk round the drive shaft) - he has since removed it and the knocking has stopped but steering feels dodgy now so its going back again!

Sorry not at all mechanically minded so cant give specifics but thought it may point you in right direction!!

Right I've done a few checks, but still have found nothing, all four wheel bearings feel tight - no play, no play in driveshafts at all, there is however some play in the top mounts. I think there should be some, and it does not seem to be excessive. What else am I looking at? front or rear wishbone/lower suspension arm bushes?

Could the problem with the wheel bearings only show when they are under the increased load you would get on the outside wheel when cornering? What do you think?

This problem is still unsolved, I've taken it to a garage and they cannot find any play anywhere in the drivetrain or suspension that shouldn't be there. Has any one got any ideas? Could it be that the CV joints are a bit dry of grease? or the driveshaft splines need greasing? Any ideas. Thanks.

Another topic, how can you tell if your cars has body work done during its life, what are the tell tale signs?

Thanks

Paintwork may look a slightly different shade in sunlight. May also develop rust patches - body repairers rarely coat new panels with the same quality rust inhibitors as the factory.

you just have to replace your driveshaft thats the only thing that will make that noise and theres nothing else