welshside

G60 acceleration problem

Hi all,

This is my first post, I have been on here a few times reading stuff but haven't had to ask for any help until now.

I've had my Corrado G60 for about 2 months now and up till recently it's been running smooth.

It's developed a problem now though. When I start the car the revs drop really low almost stalling then after about 10 seconds it will pick back up and run at about 1000rpm . It never used to do this (ok thats not the problem but it may be related).

The main problem happened today, I put my foot down when driving and it struggled to accelerate and the revs seemed to drop as if the engine was trying to cut out. I let my foot off the accelerator a bit and it went back to normal. If I pressed down hard on the accelerator it would struggle but if slowly pressed it would gradually build speed.

Ive got a boost gauge and when trying to accelerate hard that gives normal kind of readings but the engine doesnt want to accelerate.

I parked up my car for a few hours, then when I started it I had the same problem with it starting and almost cutting out and driving it still had the same issue with it not accelerating. After about 10 minutes of driving I tried accelerating and it was fine again, pulling like it should.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of things to check that might be causing this, or anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks

that sounds very much like a fueling issue.

What fuel are you using??

also might want to check the seals on your fuel pump as these were the same symptoms i had a while back

Thanks for the reply,

I usually top up with Sainsburys Super Unleaded (to get Nectar points).

I'll try to check the seals this week, is it hard to get to/remove the fuel pump. I haven't worked on cars much but learning stuff fairly quickly.

awesome, that makes life easier for me having a step by step guide.

Hopefully it is just the seal that's the problem and it's a cheap fix.

Check your vac hoses. The one to really take a close look at is the one that runs from the back of the throttle body to the ECU. The symptoms you suggest could be that this has come off either end, but best thing to do is remove it from the car, check for splits and whilst you are at it measure that it's exactly 1m long.

Thanks Rustynuts, I've had a look at the vac hoses and they seem a bit old and tatty but are all connected fine, I couldn't find any splits in them but didn't take any out of car to have a propper check. I may as well replace them anyway. Most of them look the same size, can I just get a few metres of the hose and cut it to fit, is the one to the ecu the only one that needs to be an exact length?

I tried starting the car up today and it took about 5 attempts, then it would die after a second or too unless I gave it some throttle, after a minute or 2 when it warmed up the idle still seemed a bit rough. Does this suggest it is the vac hoses causing the problem?

Not necessarily the vac hoses but the quickest and cheapest to try first. You can get the pipe and cut to length yourself and the one to the ecu is the only one that has to be an exact length.

Next thing to check is condition of lambda sensor. Disconnect the plug checking condition of wiring you can see. If it runs better disconnected you need a new lambda sensor. If not come back, just need to think of the next check point.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Put a new blue water temp sensor on it, with it being only about 10 quid it is worth doing anyway. Could be why cold start is so pants.

I've replaced all the 3.5mm vacuum hoses, but not the thicker one, is that a 9mm? Anyone know the part number?

It still took a while to start and when it finally started did not want to idle without cutting out.

I've got a new blue water temp sensor in the mail so will see if fitting that helps at all.

I am still having problems with acceleration and cutting out when starting it up.

So far I've replaced the 1m vacuum hose from throttle body to the ECU, removed the carbon canister and cut and plugged all the associated hoses, also fitted a new blue temp sensor and cleaned the ISV.

I went to have a look at the fuel pump in the boot as suggested earlier but when I looked at it there were a few hoses and wires that needed to be undone which looked like an awkward job so I left it incase I put something back together wrong and made things worse.

After these changes the car seemed to start better, it still cuts out when you start it,but you only need to rev it for a few seconds then seems to sort itself out.

I removed the lambda plug and went for a drive, waited for it to warm up a bit before booting it. In third/fourth gear put foot down and it seems fine till about 3k rpm then it will start to struggle, doesn't feel like it's going to cut out any more but it just struggles and the revs climb slowly. Like I said earlier it only does this on heavy acceleration/wide open throttle but accelerates smooth if you give it gas slowly.

Has anyone got any more suggestions?

I have bought a new fuel filter, but not fitted it yet.

I recently filled up with shell V-power till the tank was full and have driven it a few times since without having any problems at all.

This may just be a coincidence though.

When I was having problems the tank was about 1/2 full. I'm going to see how it goes now, but if it starts playing up with less petrol in the tank would this suggest that it's a fuel pump problem?

I haven't been using the car much recently but when I have it's been fine... until today.

Accelerating on a dual carriageway and had the same problem with it not wanting to rev above 3000rpm, then the engine totally cut out and I had to roll to a safe spot on the side of the road.

I tried starting it a few times and it was turning over but not starting, no spluttering or anything.

Then we had a nightmare getting it on the recovery truck without ripping the splitter off.

The fuel tank was about 1/4 full so may suggest a fuel pump problem from reading around or may just be a coincidence.

I'm going have to brave it and play around in the fuel tank to get the fuel pump out for a check, has anyone else got any more suggestions of things to check?

I had the excat problem you had and it turned out to be the fuel pump became dislodged from its mounting in the fuel tank.even when it showed 1/4 tank.

But it could be coincidence

older g60s have two pumps,earlier had one. the older two is the same one off a mk2 gti 16v which get noiser as they start to fail. intank ones are quiet on newer ones so hard to detect when it fails but you should hear it prime when you turn ign key on.

Removing the intank pump retaining ring can be a bit of a pain.I use a flat-blade screwdriver to tap it off the thread.Undo fuel pipe clips and electrical connector. then twist the top half of the pump out,then twist bottom half to undo it from the tank(if its still in place)

I'll check that the pump is locked in properly.

I have an earlier G60 with just the one pump which I can usually hear prime when I turn the key but cant hear it now.

The battery is real flat though from trying to get it started so will put some charge in it over the weekend and try it again.

To make things worse it was parked outside the house on the road and someone has side-swiped/reversed into it denting the arch, just wish I knew who did it because I live in a cul-de-sac which isn't that busy.

Things have just gotten even worse, this has been a bad week.

Just opened the bonnet to have a proper look in the light and noticed a loose belt, the crank pulley hanging off and the power steering pump belt missing.

It didn't make any big noise when the engine cut out so hopefully I haven't done too much big damage.

I've read around on the internet and it's happened to a few people so I guess I will have to do some more reading to figure out what to do next.

Here's a pic of what I have to deal with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50475[/ATTACH]