Sign in to follow this  
bigbob

Improved handling without lowering

Lads, just interested to see what mods you see fit for the C to improve handling - without lowering it or touching the suspension at all

Happy with how it drives and handles as standard to be honest, will be fitting set of Eagle F1s all round soon for better grip

cheers

C

dump your 17 inch wheels (if you've got 'em) and get 16s instead?!? ;) :lol:

Seriously though, what is it you are asking here? The only things I can think of are strut braces or seam welding that will improve handling without touching the suspension at all :roll:

If you just mean not touching the shocks/springs, then that's totally different....

Change ALL the bushes and engine mounts for a quality set of uprated items such as powerflex.

Change the antiroll bars for some good quaity uprated ones.

Make sure your suspension is correctly set for tracking and camber.

These 3 should make your car handle a lot better, but for even better results, do the above, then scrap the original shock/spring assemblies and get some good coilovers, then get the car corner-weighted to ensure perfect balance within the suspension... If you get all of the above done, you'll have a bloody good car handling wise... 8)

Cheers mate-- yeh i was on about stuff like ARBs + Strut braces

Think the first step is a set of Eagle F1s 8)

Im running 15"s atm and sticking with them for now !

C

Cheers mate-- yeh i was on about stuff like ARBs + Strut braces

Think the first step is a set of Eagle F1s 8)

Im running 15"s atm and sticking with them for now !

C

Cool, 15s are supposed to be better for the handling than 16s or 17s, with 16s just being a nice compromise... 8)

A decent set of the same tyres on each wheel with improve things (Jims16V will testify to this at the moment! ;) ) and your man to speak to about suspenson and ARBs etc, is Kevhaywire who's had all that kinda stuff done to his VR6 at Stealth... 8)

Hope this helps... 8)

I don't like the F1s anymore. Put them on mine a while ago and wish I'd stuck with Bridgestones! Their sidewalls are too soft and the steering isn't as a sharp with the F1s as it was with my old Bridgees.

ARBs turn the Corrado into an amazing handler....stick a set of Neuspeed ones on and you'll be instantly impressed :-)

As Henny said, digging out all the 10 year old rubber bushings and replacing them is a must, especially the rear axle bushes.

K

Del's 2p worth....

For uprated Anti Roll Bars, give C & R Enterprises in Nottingham a call, they seem competitive and will supply you with Eibach.

I hear Neuspeed is a good make too, but a bit more money.

forgot to say... i want to do this same mod too, so would be interested if anyone knows of any decent deals etc.

The Eibachs are very good but I had supply problems with them when I wanted some ARBs for my C. Eibach decided to stop making them, but I think they've started making them again but have warned they won't be around for much longer.

Therefore Neuspeed was the only option at the time. And having owned Eibachs in the past, I can say the Neuspeeds are better. Better fit, better made, look better and work better! The rear one is also adjustable and because it uses rose joints, the rear axle is free to move around in all axis as it normally would, so ride comfort is not affected. The Eibach rear ARB straps the trailing arms to the axle rigidly, so you get a certain amount of skittishness over bumpy surfaces.

The only downsides to the Neuspeeds are the cost and the rose joints are prone to seizing, so they need greasing every once in a while.

Thanks Kev,

You've done a good job of convincing me that Neuspeed has more advantages. Just depends on how much more they will cost than the Eibach.

Do you know who i should ring to get a price for supply and possibly fitting them too?

Thanks Kev,

You've done a good job of convincing me that Neuspeed has more advantages. Just depends on how much more they will cost than the Eibach.

Do you know who i should ring to get a price for supply and possibly fitting them too?

Awesome GTI and C&R Enterprises are the only two official Neuspeed importers that I'm aware of. Both have an excellent mail order service. I orderd a rear one from Awesome and it arrived just as I was leaving for work the next morning!

I think my rear was £180 all in from Awesome, not sure how much C&R punt them out for. I would recommend you start with the rear one, as it's the one that has the biggest and most noticable effect. If at a later date you feel the front needs one, then you can simply order one as and when. I'm still running with just the rear a year later, so they're pretty good on their own......but a pair.....wow!

Oh and the rear is available in 2 sizes, 25 and 28mm. Be careful if you go with a 28 as body roll will seriously be non existent.....but oversteer in wet weather is a distinct possibility! The 25mm is a safer bet if you've not used uprated ARBs before.

Fitting. The rear can be done in an hour yourself with axle stands, real easy that one. The front needs the engine subframe lowering, so best done on a ramp.

K

ok mate. Incidentally im about to buy front and rear black badges. the rear one is listed as corrado, but the front ones are all listed by golf models. mk 2,3, or 4. Does it matter?

Erm... I think the front is the same as a mk2 but it does have an extra plastic circle surround but you will already have that...

Just ask when you buy them... GSF or GPC do them...

I'll give you a call, we'll have to meet up soon!