rickdonald

Ricks VR6 - Rebuild VR or 24v? advice please

you could also just hold out for a re-built engine to come up for sale, they do come up rarely but they do as i got one off here last year, 0 miles after the re-build for 350 quid, bloody bargain that was.

Personally, I would go 24v, but as Haywire suggested, first drive one to see how it drives apparently its 'very' differnt from a normal 12V

Yep, completely different power delivery. It's so torquey low down (compared to a 12V), it feels like the car has lost half it's weight. And in the case of the 3.2, there's a very pronounced kick at 5000rpm that rips round to 7K in a blink. You have to relearn how to drive the car too, such is the savagery of the throttle response, but it's worth it and you get used to it.

There's a bunch of 3.2s on ebay at the moment for a good price.

If fitting yourself:-

Budget ~ £1500 for a good engine with ECU, ancills and complete wiring harneses.

Budget ~ £600 for SWICT or Stealth to adapt the harnesses for use in a Corrado and software changes to delete the emissions crap, and includes a standard ~ 280hp remap (IIRC).

Budget ~ £350 for downpipes + extra to adapt to your existing exhaust.

Budget ~ £500 for contingency.

So around £3K all in, realistically.

Now if you compare that to a professional rebuild of a 12V (fitted), you won't get much change from the same amount and you'll still only have a gutless (low down) engine with 190hp.

With the R32 you'll have 100hp more and a newer, much quieter engine that loves to rev and uses bugger all oil. And if you want more, it can deliver more, a lot more.

The 2.8 is very noticably slower than the R32 and I wouldn't bother with it personally, least of all an AUE as you can naff all with them and VW are starting to obsolete some of it's parts.

Insurance for my R32 conversion is around the £600 mark, protected bonus, no mileage restriction, garaged.

I suppose a 24v/r32 conversion would cost alot more than a vr6 rebuild if you wernt able to do all the work yourself, wouldnt mind knowing how much a garage would charge for a 24v/r32 conversion.

I suppose a 24v/r32 conversion would cost alot more than a vr6 rebuild if you wernt able to do all the work yourself
Ye I think that's my problem, I couldn't imagine me doing it myself because as I say its a daily driver and I don't think I have the skills either! one thing I would do though if I were to get a conversion, I would be to keep the 2.9 and rebuild it myself just to get the experience.

I would love to go for the R32 engine but I think id be pushing the upper limit of my budget for the 24v 2.8, you say avoid the AUE engine? which one is this out of? I was looking at a BDE engine, this any better? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info as I can before I try and decide what to do. Have been looking at a couple of other build threads with conversions, think I should stop though because its putting all sorts of ideas in my head!

you seen this car http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-STORM-prof-V6-4Motion-Engine-Conversion-/290663755740?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43ace8efdc would not take much to swap all the engine/ecu over, then sell the brakes/suspension and all the other bits, cant really see an easier/cheaper way of doing a 24v conversion

karl

There wouldn't really be any point in breaking it though would there, that's a pretty complete car...

There wouldn't really be any point in breaking it though would there, that's a pretty complete car...

ok or could put he's engine in it and sell it again.

ok or could put he's engine in it and sell it again.

Lol fair play... Hows ur new lump running? 2.8 right?