deanjames

1.8t vs Vr6

1 good thing about the 18t is how easily and cheaply tuneable it is compared to the VR engine, My TT is the 225 bam engine mapped by DG and i have done the wak box conversion which gives it a bit more noise and a nice whoosh from the turbo and feels really lively and fast! My mate has a mapped R32 with an airbox conversion and sounds awesome but after going out in the two cars he was shocked that the TT is faster but i would admit the TT sounds nothing like his R32, The 18t would be a nice conversion in the four pots but wouldn`t want to butcher a VR for the 18t engine! and also how would front wheel drive cope with nearly 300bhp without the electronic trickery that the TT has?

Agree with most of what's been said. Wouldn't get rid of a VR, but would deffo change one of the 4 pots for a 1.8T.

I've spent around £350 on my Octy vRS to get it from 180bhp/170lbs, to around 225bhp/230lbs. They are so easy to tune. I also wouldn't say it's soulless- I like the noises- turbo whistle, the recirc 'dump', the wub-wub when the BMC was fitted, Jetex downpipe/sports cat, Blue Flame catback- all these combine to make it a fast and fun car to drive, with a little character. Also fitted a Forge 007p + N75J. Definitely need the tweeks though ;) Midrange, it absolutely murders the VR6. The VR6 nearly makes up for it at the top end. The smoothness of the VR is unquestionable, although the vRS is pretty smooth.

how would front wheel drive cope with nearly 300bhp without the electronic trickery that the TT has?

lift your foot up a little

The same can be said for VRT, supercharged VRs etc. Corrados seem to handle the power very well indeed. Have driven Dave's VRT a couple of times and it's not a scrabble machine in the slightest. It feels factory 8)

From my experience with modified corrados and with the 1.8T, 24v engines (Ive owned mapped S3's, LCR's, 4mo Golfs and the list in my sig) I will say without doubt the best all round engine from the lot is the 2.8 24v. Nice and punchy low down, not really any worse than a 1.8T on fuel, sounds so much better, still pulls to the redline and keeps the overall VR character of the car. Im not dissing the other motors, they are good at what they do, I just think overall this is the best.

A turbo'd 24v would be ideal IMO and I really dont see how it can dissapoint you Kev when its done, it will be awsome.

A turbo'd 24v would be ideal IMO and I really dont see how it can dissapoint you Kev when its done, it will be awsome.

It won't be turboed for a good while yet. I'm running it as standard first to get used to mapping it and to make sure it's all OK, then 268 cams and exhaust work and then if I'm still not satisfied, I'll stick the snail on :D But hell yeah, no way would a 24V Turbo be dissapointing!