AndyCorradoVR6

Lazy Indicators

I've had my Corrado for a few months now with several hiccups along the way, however this latest gremlin has me scratching my head.

I recently replaced the front-right bulb for the indicator and everything was fine. A few days later though, I noticed when I indicated that the lights weren't displayed on the dash and there wasn't the familiar 'clicking' noise when indicating. I had a look from the outside and the lights don't work at all. Sometimes though, after driving for a few minutes they work fine (as though they need charging!) and then stop again. I thought it may have been the stalk, but the high-beam still works fine. I've not very mechanical-savvy, but I was told that I ought to invest in a new idler motor and auxiliary belt- could these be connected to my indicator issues?!

Any helpful replies would be appreciated.

could be the flasher relay, give it a tap when youve got the stalk indicating left or right (with ignition on). Not sure which one this is off the top of my head but im sure a quick search will tell ya.

welcome to the fold.

Thanks Sam, you were right- it was the relay. For future reference it turned out to be the top right one. Whilst rummaging down there, I saw a small lever-like switch hanging down that could be flicked two ways. It was above the relays and fuses (I don't have a fusebox cover so I don't know if it would be inside or outside the actual box), does anybody know what purpose such a switch would serve?

what alarm system have you got installed? Some older alarms (like my old clifford) had a toggle switch to turn the alarm off if the car was going in for a service/mot etc...

It doesn't have an alarm, I'm still using the good old insert-key-and-twist method.

It looks to be a factory fitted switch but after giving it a flick it didn't seem to do anything.

Edited by AndyCorradoVR6

it doesnt sound like a standard part. Could be almost anything, but if you really want to find out then follow the wires back to the source. My guesse is its a very basic immob' switch.

A rear-electric spoiler switch?! What would that do?

There's a proper dash button near the lights (I think) that lets me manually raise and lower the rear spoiler if that's what you're referring to. Think it only works when stationary though but I'm guessing that's for safety.

This switch is well tucked under the footwell, not far above the relays. I would be tempted to follow the wires but I'd probably break something in the process.

Just had it in the garage as the fan had ceased to work (resulting in an unpleasant afternoon in town, stuck in traffic with steam and water cascading out of the header tank) - seems the previous owner had a passion for dodgy wiring. The mystery switch is no longer an enigma! It was indeed once upon a time a manual over-ride for the fan and after my goblin-like mechanics' tinkering, it is once more.