Sign in to follow this  
Jim

New rubber!

Decided to splash out yesterday.. my car is running some 15" BBS's which look very much like the original G60 ones, but are very slightly different and off a BMW. Same size as the G60 ones though (195/50/15's).

Lee was using them as temporary wheels, but as I didn't want the trouble of the borbets he had from a practicaility point of view, I went with the BBS's. Downside was there were 4 different types of tyre on there and they were quite tired.. so I got all 4 corners decked out yesterday with Goodyear Eagle GSD-3/F1's - luckily for me the local tyre centre does them even cheaper than MyTyres (£44 a corner, balance and fitted) so I just bit the bullet. Total bill was £185 which isn't bad for 4x F1's.

I can tell you one thing.. handling is spectacularly improved. Even with Koni's on, with the old tyres I thought the handling was a bit hairy, but just have gone onto these much better tyres, and now all the wheels are balanced, its like you just aim for a direction and it pulls the whole car round without breaking a sweat. Admittedly I haven't been booting it, but I tried some sharp corners on roundabouts last night in the wet as well, and I was stunned.

Ride quality is a hell of a lot better too.. and cabin noise :)

£44 a corner is an absolute bargin! I asked in a couple of places, one being Kwik Fit, and they wanted £93 each for 205 50 15s, and thats for F1 GS-D2s cos I cant find the GS-D3s in 205 size.

Where abouts did you get the tyres? I'm only in Leicester so to save £200 I would make the 20 minute drive down the M69 to Cov.

Cheers

Ady

Ady - i'm in Coventry. The place I went to is called Britannia Tyres.

If you wanna give em a bell for a quote on tyres their number is 024 7625 6262.

Cheers. I will give them a bell next week. I was going to go to mytyres.co.uk, but these sound even cheaper.

Ady

Well.. if its anything to go by Britannia did undercut the MyTyres prices by about £3/corner.. plus then you'd have to get em fitted somewhere, and thats usually £5/corner - so total of £32.

I went to Britannia Tyres in Coventry and got 4 Eagle F1s yesterday. It came to £65 a tyre for 205 50 R15s in the GS-D2 pattern, £20 more than each for an extra 10mm width! They were still loads cheaper than any where else I could find though.

I just tried them in the rain and I'm pretty pleased with them, but I will give them a better road test in due course.

Cheers

Ady

Blimey! So if you were getting quoted £93/corner at your local Kwikfit, going to Britannia saved you over £100!

Hope you didn't have to wait very long.. they get REALLY busy there literally from opening time.

I got there about 10am and was on the way home by 11, so it wasn't too bad, and at least they had a coffee machine.

Yeah the cheapest I could get F1s in Leicestershire was £80 each, and that was in Loughborough, so I didn't mind the drive down the M69, always fun.

Cheers

Ady