carter711

CHEAP Corrado I've seen for sale, Fulham

Before I start, I don't know the seller, but I have spoken to him on the phone.

He needs to sell his Corrado fast and it's stupidly cheap. He bought it a few weeks ago on gumtree, got it trailered home as the battery was dead and then went to get it insured but his policy wouldn't allow the change of vehicle as they change was too great (his existing car is a van)

So he can't get insured without cancelling his insurance and having to buy a new policy which he can't afford.

He hasn't got enough money in his bank to get the car taxed and it's parked on the road so he is constantly having to keep an eye on it to stopped it getting towed, and he'd rather sell it cheap so someone else can enjoy it than have it towed, be unable to pay the release fee and then the car will be crushed :(

I called him to arrange to buy it but after thinking about it for a minute I can't buy it. I already have a VR6 that needs constant work and I started a new job last and it's crucial that I don't have time off.

Anyway here is the advert if you search for Corrados in London you will see the original advert that he bought it from, with more pictures. The wheels and tyres are worth the asking price alone!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-corrado-2l-16vmotazev-a-alloys-with-toyo-proxs/89505445#gallery-item-full-1

just bought one cheaper (but in worse condition), seems like these models arent much money. Even my first rado 6 years ago was less than £800. Or am I just jammy and getting cheap uns?

My housemate is very tempted..being a bit of a sceptic im a little bit..well..sceptical, but hopefully its a genuine sale and there might be corrado no.2 sitting on the drive tomorrow night!

I think if you're buying it to run and not just break for parts you should go into it with your eyes wide open.

I paid £400 for my burgundy 16v about 3 years ago and I've been slowly restoring it ever since! No doubt it could well need a lot of work.

No my flatmate has been keeping his eyes peeled for a rado for a while, and on saturday his car died so now needs a car asap. The idea is to have the car to drive and enjoy, BUT if it goes wrong its cheap enough to break and not loose much money, if any. Ideally though it will be restored and well looked after.

See above though, im quite sceptical so will make sure it gets a thorough check over..any obvious key things to look for with a valver?

Ah it's a 16v aswell.

tbh I'd take someone who knows old VWs. I actually had to fix mine to get it home as it didn't even start and none of the wiring was done properly! Should have walked away tbh but I stuck at it and managed to get it home.

Make sure his breakdown cover is still good, that's prob the best advice i can give!

Even if you wanted a car just to poach [obsoleted] bits from and scrap the rest, that's still cheap imo, but it actually looks pretty good in the pics and could be used as a run around!

Even if you wanted a car just to poach [obsoleted] bits from and scrap the rest, that's still cheap imo, but it actually looks pretty good in the pics and could be used as a run around!

My thoughts exactly.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

oh and his breakdown cover is good, he took out an 18 month policy with RAC on Sunday after his car died and I had to come rescue him!!

Any help appreciated, no info available on my text check or any sort of HPI check site..but it does exist on the DVLA but hasnt been taxed since 2003!!

Any way of finding out the usual info you would get from an HPI check??

When I bought a cheap Corrado, the first time I saw it was when I collected it! Turned out to be good.

Someone get round there and buy it. Man up people and take a punt on it! Haha.

Yes Jim, I went and saw it last night...

Bodywork seems fine (although it was dark and I only had a torch) and the wheels are ok apart from some lacquer peel, good tyres. But i stopped investigating further once I started her up.

The idea was to drive it down the road to the gas station to look at it in the light. I attached a new battery (it doesnt come with one) and she fired up, but one of the HT leads had snapped and been repaired with electrical tape and was throwing sparks out everywhere. Did a temp fix on it which worked.

Started her again and there were some very loud clanging noises coming from the head. Decided to drive her to the garage anyway but could barely get to the end of the road. Very lumpy acceleration, and certainly some belts slipping causing the most got awful screaming noise, plus what sounded like gear box issues on run down.

Perhaps some of these are easy fixes, for me it was just too much to warrant the risk. I dont reckon we'd have got it home and so that killed it for me. BUT if you more mechanically minded than me perhaps it worth a shot. Just couldnt justify it myself!

Plus it hasnt been taxed since 2003 - I was told it was a project for the previous owner and therfore kept off the road, but the only thing that is aftermarket are the wheels so not much of an achievment in 8 years. The lack of tax over the last 8 years also means I couldnt do an HPI check as the reg is no longer listed.

I dont want to slag it off too much, it could be a good project if you have the time, patience and money, but I also dont think the advert on gumtree is accurate and I dont want anyone else to waste an evening expecting to go and see what is described as a mechanically sound car!

Sounds like a perfect shell for an engine conversion if there's no rot. Shame I don't have the spare cash atm... :(

I didnt look that thoroughly or underneath so no idea if there is rust/rot or anything similar, but in theory yes!

Sounds like a breaker to me.

I mean, if it was Full of Ham, and not just in Fulham then I would have been round there in a shot.