tony_ack

Never thought it would come to this

As some of you have seen, I've had a pretty tough time getting a decent insurance quote on the VR6 this year. The lowest so far has been £860 from Brentacre, which is a fair whack to do only 8000 miles a year.

The insurance on the Corrado runs out at the end of this month, and the tax at the end of next month. I have been mulling over the idea of parking the Corrado for winter and getting a cheap diesel daily (a MK3 Golf TDI or similar). Ideally I would something I could buy and insure for less than it would cost me to renew on the Corrado, but quotes for the Golf are still coming back at £450 per year TPFT (which is what I paid to insure my MK2 GTI a couple of years ago fully comp!!) so it may cost a little more than I want. Obviously a diesel would half my fuel costs, saving me £70 per month, and if I get a car with some tax on it I make a bit of a saving there too.

I do have a dry and sturdy lockup that I rent for £10 per month to store the Corrado in, so storage isn't an issue, though it isn't at my home address. I would rent the garage whether I store the Corrado in there or not, so doesn't factor into the storage costs..

I have tried to think of the pros and cons of the idea, and I'm still undecided!

Pros:

-The Corrado is off the road over the winter - no road dirt or risk of accident damage

-After a couple of months, I will have saved money in running costs, and then it will start to pay off (hopefully!)

-It will give me a chance to look at the bodywork and underseal, finish off the aircon and do other jobs on the car without worrying about getting it back on the road on Monday morning

-The Corrado is on summer tyres and needs two new tyres soon

-I will save on mileage (currently on 220k)

Cons:

-I love driving the Corrado and will miss it A LOT

-I will still need (okay want) to tax/insure the Corrado next summer (though maybe a classic policy would now be an option if I restrict to 3000 miles per year?)

-The replacement car may need some money spending on it, and I would be tempted to spend a little on tidying it up

-The Corrado is possibly more comfortable over winter that the car replacing it!

-I don't want the Corrado to develop problems while in storage - from experience cars are more reliable when they are driven regularly!

What would you do?!

The difference in insurance is £410 per year. That's £34 a month. Yes you'll save on fuel costs with a diesel but there will be unexpected costs with the new car. You'd then be faced with the hassle of keeping two cars roadworthy, taxed and insured. Even if you alternate the tax and insurance through summer/winter across the two cars there is always an admin fee to do it.

If it is for purely financial reasons then personally I think you should either keep the Corrado on the road or sell it. I vote to keep it.

The Corrado isn't going to be sold, though it's not just financial reasons that I am considering. I don't want to keep piling 10000 miles on per year and I also need to spend some time on the bodywork. I'm also not planning to tax the Corrado through winter, and then insure on a classic policy when I start using in the summer.

The fuel saving on using a diesel would be about £70 per month. I do appreciate that repairs may be required on another car, however to be honest the Corrado is no angel here either! I need at least two new (preferably 4 winter/all weather) tyres to get me through the winter and it has an intermittent starting problem which, although I'm investigating (prob crank sensor), has the potential of leaving me stranded until it is fixed.

the corrado as mentioned before in another thread is best used as a second car, i used mine as a daily when i first brought it, and wasnt as good a feeling when driveing it every now and then, at the mo my car is in a shed its dry,safe and going no where! if i was you i would find a shed/storage where you can work on your car and buy a cheap runaround for the time being, i only drive it when i feel like going for a cruze and its great!!!!!!!

where i live im lucky in the sense i dont have to pay road tax{its added on to fuel} and we dont have MOT so being legaly on the roads is just a case of phoneing the insurance company and jobs a gooden!! so dont have to jump through the hoops of paying tax for a year or getting an mot, even haveing to pay tax and getting an mot i would still dry store it...

I was in the same situation as you do i keep the corrado on the road or do i take it of?

My tax run out the end of last month, which happened to ba glorious weekend (typical) so i relented and tax the old girl for anothere 6 months! i know i must be mad lol but on the up side i can take her out if the weather is nice and like you have mentioned keep parts moving so when the summer arrives again i won't be replacing parts from lack of use!!

I am lucky to have a second car on stand by, which so happens is a mk3 golf tdi which i had before i brought the corrado, and i must say that she is a wonderful car and has never let me down even in the snow that we have had over the past 2 years and i live out in the sticks, the only thing i suggest if you do go down the route of by a mk3 diesel for the winter is regular oil changes ( i do mine every 3 to 4 thousand miles) and putting some wynes diesel injector cleaner through has done wonders for mine, she has done 250,000 miles starts on the button and i can get about 600 miles to a tank,

That infomation might not be helpful but i might give you some food for thought!

I too have a second car, I think taking the Corrado off the road over winter will make you apreciate it more, theres more of a chance more parts will need replacing if its a daily driver...

i've had my Corrado VR6 for over 2 years now, and only in march next year will it see some tarmac! It's been stood while I've been rebuilding it and fixing her up!

Put prices into the equation if it is a cost issue only.

I doubt running a second car no matter how economical it is will be anything other than more expensive then your current costs.

A second car is going to also cost on running repairs, plus of course the initial outlay.

If it is saving the Corrado's mileage - then take it off the road.

Simples !!!

The transition to a more modern, comfortable daily is surprisingly easy.. it really takes the pressure off NEEDING to get the Corrado fixed ASAP when something goes wrong.. and if, like in my case, you're driving a car with nearly 1/4 of the power of the VR, you REALLY enjoy getting back into it and taking it for a thrash :)

Do it.

I too have a second car, I think taking the Corrado off the road over winter will make you apreciate it more, theres more of a chance more parts will need replacing if its a daily driver...

My theory is the opposite, I'm convinced the reason I had so few problems with mine is it was in constant use, so nothing had the chance to seize/rust/corode or anything!

Sadly I'm in the same boat and parked the Rado up after not being able to insure her. I moaned ages ago about new insurance rules and have been proved right - it's a pain in the neck for people who only drive a car occasionally. I'd have happily paid tax to have it sat on the road with MOT but only insure it for odd days here and there.

So really, the government are missing out on revenue because I've refunded the tax, will not re-tax, will not pay for insurance of any kind (with associated tax), neither will I be buying fuel for it. I bet there are thousands of people across the country deciding not to bother running their older cars.

£860 seems a little excessive. Is it a standard car? How old are you?

I doubt running a second car no matter how economical it is will be anything other than more expensive then your current costs. A second car is going to also cost on running repairs, plus of course the initial outlay.

If it is saving the Corrado's mileage - then take it off the road.

Simples !!!

Yeah a second car always works out more expensive than planned but they can also be very useful if the Corrado is in no fit state for the road!

If I had a 220K old Corrado, I would be driving it death to rack up the mileage to 300K as soon as possible :D I wonder if there are any Rados out there with more than 300k?

Judging by how you've written your posts, esp your 2nd one, I think you're more in favour of taking it off the road. I might be wrong though, so sorry if making that assumption is a bit out of line.

I think the pros outweigh the cons... yes, you'll miss it but just think of the amount of time you can spend sorting bits and pieces out and how great it will feel to drive again in spring! You've made me think about taking mine off the road too although not before the RR day next month :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, you're right, the decision has pretty much been made. I know if I put it away, I'll miss it and I'll like it even more when I get it out again.

I'm now looking at something slightly better as a daily like a cheap audi A4 diesel (time for a family car...), but still not looking to spend over £1000.

£860 is a lot, but the cheapest I could get! The car is not standard as you can see from my sig, but not exactly souped up either! I will be 30 (well 29 years 11 months) when the renewal is due, with 5 years no claims. Unfortunately I have one non-fault accident against me which doesn't help, and the car is 16 years old, so classic policies are ruled out unless I stick to 3000 miles per year.

300k miles would be an achievement, and to be honest, with the condition of the engine I think it can do it! The problem is that I don't have the space or equipment for an engine swap, when it all goes bang!

Yeah a second car always works out more expensive than planned but they can also be very useful if the Corrado is in no fit state for the road!

Very true, my 2nd car is a Mk3 Polo GT i only spent £270 to buy the car and have 12mths MOT, but im paying £550 a year insurance. The bonus has been went the Corrado is getting work i have a backup plan. But i have spent abit on the Polo - About £150 in parts since May. By the end of the year the car probably as cost me £1000 and its a shed on wheels quite frankly.

Has it really saved me £1000 on fuel? No. The only pro is that your not as fussed when the Corrado isn't road worthy as your still getting to work to earn the £££££. Oh and i wouldn't cry if i binned the Polo in a ditch over winter!

you will miss driving it mate but it will always be there!!i had mind stores in a barn for a year thinkin it was safe!!well it was to be fair but when it was taken out for a start up and wash it self ignited itself!!i recon mice chewed some wiring and shorted the electrics out!!so please be warned to keep a close eye on it if it is stored and when running!!i would hate there to be another man down!!

In your position, I'd take it off the road.

Have you tried Admiral for a quote? MILES cheaper for the VR6 and our vRS. Both modified, and combined came to less than £500 fully comp with protected no claims etc.

Very true, my 2nd car is a Mk3 Polo GT i only spent £270 to buy the car and have 12mths MOT, but im paying £550 a year insurance. The bonus has been went the Corrado is getting work i have a backup plan. But i have spent abit on the Polo - About £150 in parts since May. By the end of the year the car probably as cost me £1000 and its a shed on wheels quite frankly.

Has it really saved me £1000 on fuel? No. The only pro is that your not as fussed when the Corrado isn't road worthy as your still getting to work to earn the £££££. Oh and i wouldn't cry if i binned the Polo in a ditch over winter!

This pretty much sums up my sentiments at the moment. I'm probably not going to save in the long run, as the daily will need work doing on it, and so will the Corrado. If I carried on running the Corrado, the worst case scenario would be that I paid the extra fuel/insurance costs, and then I have a major breakdown or winter accident, lose the Corrado (or need to spend £££ fixing it) and still need to buy a new daily in the end. I know this could happen to the daily too, but that's not a problem as if it did I'd just break it and get another daily!

Also it allows me to treat the Corrado simply as a hobby rather than an essential means of getting to work. I can choose to drive it/fix it when I can afford to, and not feel I NEED to fix it as it is my primary means of transport

The Corrado is a special car but it's also quite old and if I want to enjoy it for years to come, I need to start looking after it more. I have spent loads on keeping it in top shape, but care needs to extend now to reducing the mileage and not exposing it to winter roads.

My current insurer IS Admiral - They were £560 this year, and now it's jumped to £860, and that's not including the increase in mileage allowance for the upcoming year. That would see it to over £1000. The increase must be due to the mods... I remember when I rang up to declare the mods... the Schrick added £20 to the premium for the remaining 9 months of the policy, and the lowering and wheels added an extra £120 over 6 remaining months!

its so nice being able to work on the corrado and not have to finish the job you started the same day, when i first got it, it was my daily and alot of things needed doing to get it up to scratch and it was quite stressful haven to finish what you started the same day, especialy when one seized bolt can set you back 3 hours or so.. dry store it you wont regret it!! especialy if your corrados in good nick! it will give you a chance to sort out the niggley bits that you wouldnt normaly be able to do as a daily driver, i.e re underseal it etc etc

its so nice being able to work on the corrado and not have to finish the job you started the same day, when i first got it, it was my daily and alot of things needed doing to get it up to scratch and it was quite stressful haven to finish what you started the same day, especialy when one seized bolt can set you back 3 hours or so.. dry store it you wont regret it!! especialy if your corrados in good nick! it will give you a chance to sort out the niggley bits that you wouldnt normaly be able to do as a daily driver, i.e re underseal it etc etc

Spot on... I'm slightly more fortunate in that I have the lockup to store the Corrado in if a job goes wrong and the missus has the Golf which I can borrow to get to work and back - we can just about get by with one car dor a week or so if the Corrado needs to be holed up but it's not ideal.

I have gone and done it today... I have paid a deposit on my daily snotter! It's an Audi A4 Avant TDI, S-plate in flat red. It's very rough around the edges but there's no rust, a long MOT and it runs okay. There's a bit of white smoke out of the back, but it smells diesel-y (no signs of HGF and it's defo not steam) so I think it needs a good clean out/thrash. To be honest, for the price I got it for it would be no disaster if it needed a new turbo seal or head gasket. Think it's the 90bhp version so insurance works out at a shade under £550 fully comp and if I ever wanted a bit more power, uprated injectors should see me to 110 without any alterations to the map. There's no aircon/climatronic in it which would have been nice, but I'm actually not as bothered as I thought I would be. Plus it will mean I appreciate the climatronic in the Corrado more! I collect it on Monday. I will run the Corrado until the insurance runs out on 28th October, then insure the Audi from then. It will give me a chance to check the Audi over before it goes on the road... I'm not sure when the cambelt was last done and it looks fairly easy to do, so that's my first job.

It is weird but the thought of putting the Corrado away for the winter has made me appreciate it even more... I gave it an extra long wash/valet today. It was always more than *just* a mode of transport, but now I think it has transcended into something extra special. I enjoyed every second of my journey up the M1 today to view the Audi.