Redfox

Remember what the press said?

Hi all,

Being new to Corrado's I don't really remember what the press all over said about the Corrado, when it came out, adn as the years passed by.

But because of that, I just bought a bunch of mags from Sweden, and just finished reading them. Mglp :shrug: They are all negative. Well, they like the outside shape, and generally say it drives quite sporty, but the engine is crap (all), the suspension is soft and lift the inner rear wheel too much, the equipment is crap, the space in side is crap, the milage is crap, the bhp is not at all up to the promised level, and anything japanese seems to be a lot more sportier, little or no equipment, rear wing is uselss, price is all too high, teh instrumentation with no exception is critized for being a Passat one, the gearshift is way too long and slow and so on.

What did the other mags say? (non Swedish)???

And how do you think it stands today?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Pretty much all the UK reviews were VERY favourable. Group tests had the VR out-doing the BMW 3-series coupe, Probe, Prelude, 200SX, Celica etc. There's a good episode of Top Gear where Clarkson reviews it in comparison to the Probe, Prelude and Celica. The VR wins 8)

There's a good episode of Top Gear where Clarkson reviews it in comparison to the Probe, Prelude and Celica. The VR wins 8)

"And then there's the Corrado. It's like the espresso. One shot and it blows your head off"

Lots of articles (favourable) in here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51861-Corrado-magazine-article-review-thread&highlight=magazine

You can almost guarantee that if a Star in a Reasonably Nice Car turned out to own a Corrado they wouldn't look down on it at all.

Edited by Portent

I've got a massive amount of articles that I need to get round to scanning but never seem to have the time to do.. I'd be happy to post them to a mod or long standing member to do if they were interested as long as I knew I was going to get them back! Perhaps something could be arranged to fit in with the RR day?

Clarkson also referred to the VR in one of his articles as a £20,000 Ferrari

I think all of those Sweedish motoring journalists must have been smoking pot or something when they tested it

Edited by mr.ots

They did a relatively recent review of a VR6 by Hammond too. Looking at is as a future classic.

I believe that review is from 2003 so it's 8 years old :)

I believe that review is from 2003 so it's 8 years old :)

I meant recent relative to the invention of the piston engine. Sorry, I should've been more specific. :-p

I meant recent relative to the invention of the piston engine. Sorry, I should've been more specific. :-p

Actually I think it's a useful review exactly because it was in 2003. It shows how they thought about the car even after more modern and better cars had come out, yet was near enough to the car being new so that it was still 'modern' enough to not get absolutely destroyed by current cars like the Scirocco R. I'd love them to do a retro-review of 90's cars now and see which have stood the test of time.

Plus, if that was a section about future classics, and now it IS the future, that must mean its a classic.