bristolbaron

1.8 & 2.0 16v interchangable engine parts!? Help needed!

I recently bought an early 16v, which has had a later 2.0 engine fitted at some point in its life.

The engine is now making some funny noises, which i believe is down to the cam to cam chain/pulley being worn.

I have just collected a 1.8 16v head and was thinking about refitting it, keeping the 2.0 bottom end.

In order to do so I need to find out/confirm the following: [apologies if i show my stupidity!]

Are the cam pulleys the same? If not which would i use?

If they're different which cam belt would i use?

Are the headgaskets the same? If not which would i use?

I only currently have the manifold/throttle body from the 2.0 - Would I be better sourcing KR items?

Is it good practice to change the waterpump at the same time or not relevant?

The important factor is to have the car running for as little outlay as possible, however if sourcing the KR manifold etc would mean a significantly better engine i'd do it..

Cheers

Baz

I have replaced my kr bottom end with a 9a 2.0 block and used a gas flowed kr head and most of the parts are interchangeable including the cam pulley and belt but i used a 2.0 head gasket as its a steel gasket, davidwort is the best to ask as he gave me some valueable info as it was a while ago that i did mine but its well worth it for the extra torque! The manifolds do fit and depends which size inlet manifold you want

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

Not sure about the throttle body from the 2.0 but changing the water pump would be a good idea while you are at it

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

I think the cambelt pulley stud is different that goes into the kr head

As Joby said, the later 2.0 head gaskets are steel however I was told (by the guy who skimmed my head) that if you use a composite gasket they are more forgiving for slight inaccuracies in the head.

The manifold is 50mm on the KR iirc but from what I've read it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but if you want one I've got one for sale.

Hope the block is still running alright Joby!

As Joby said, the later 2.0 head gaskets are steel however I was told (by the guy who skimmed my head) that if you use a composite gasket they are more forgiving for slight inaccuracies in the head.

The manifold is 50mm on the KR iirc but from what I've read it doesn't make a huge amount of difference but if you want one I've got one for sale.

Hope the block is still running alright Joby!

The blocks fine jason and the engine runs like a dream after the rebuild, congrats on the new VR mate similar coulor to mine Bordeaux pearl, Im sure you will turn it into a minter

In order to do so I need to find out/confirm the following:

Are the cam pulleys the same? YES (well interchangeable, the factory 2L is slightly different design with matching stud)

Are the headgaskets the same? YES, if bottom end is a 2L then gasket is the same regardless of the head you fit (1.8 is smaller bore so smaller HG)

I only currently have the manifold/throttle body from the 2.0 - Would I be better sourcing KR items? I'd keep a 42mm inlet manifold claw on it as it helps with low end torque a little, throttle body would normally be specific to the fuelling/ignition system, i.e. the factory 2L (9A engine) has switches for throttle position that the KR doesn't, but if you are running plain old K-jet from the 1.8 on the 2L block it doesn't matter, just continue to use the KR throttle body.

Is it good practice to change the waterpump at the same time or not relevant? Cam belt doesn't run around water pump like a lot of more modern engines, so no need to change it unless it's really old as they're fairly cheap and you'll be draining the coolant anyway.

how big a job it is to replace the cam to cam timing chain on the 2.0 head?

The problem sounds like the chain has stretched / gone slack, but i don't know if this could also be down to worn gears on the cams?

I also don't really know what i'm talking about which make the job twice as hard!

Cheers

Baz