rimniceanum

best engine

hy guys!

i've been searching the internet for some information about the vw corrado and i want to ask you guys as well. i currently have an 2007 1.9tdi vw jetta and i want to trade it for a vw corrado. what engine and year do you recommend? i'm interested in making a few modifications to it.

thanks

IMHO I would get the latest, best condition VR6 with leather you can find. The later interior is much nicer IMHO + the V6 is a cracking engine.

Welcome to the forum. The G60 versus VR6 debate has raged for years. I wanted the VR6 because I wanted cubes, like a six cylinder and was a bit wimpy about charger rebuild problems etc. There are many owners of both who love them dearly and won't hear a bad word said. They make power in different ways (I imagine) and make great but different sound when giving it the beans.

Buy the best one you can afford - year is less important than condition / history. There are some great buyers guides on here (use the search) that are really helpful.

Corrados are not cheap and it's advisable to be a handy mechanic!

Drive all of them and find out.

I have a VR6 well did its now a 2.8 24v but I loved the VR6 roar and power but before I had a 2.0 16v which was really nice to drive but was just lacking in power. Cant comment on the G60's tho

Just drive them all and make your choice

I have owned them all, 1.8 16v, 2.0l 16v, G60 and VR6 (yes I know I have missed 2.0l 8v but I don't count them ;-)) The only one I found disappointing was the 2.0l 16v. I rebuilt a 1.8 16v and I don't know what I did to it but it was as quick as a mates Mk3 Vr and put out 163 bhp on the rollers! I loved my G60 Corrado but I think that engine is a little better suited to a Mk2 with a rod change box (like the one I have!). The overall winner is the VR though, it makes a grown up noise, the interiors are better than G60's with it being the later spec and the engine is sublime. Mine has 201 bhp and it never seems like that is too much as the chassis is awesome. Power delivery is docile at lower revs and comes to life with revs.

My gut feeling is that you're in America... so the only two options available to you are the G60 or the VR6 (SLC) - you really need to drive both to make your minds up. Lots of tuning stuff available for both. IMHO the VR6 beats the G60 in terms of scope for reliable tuning, sound, performance, etc.. but everyone is different :)

Yes, i am from Romania and there are few corrado's where i live. there is a red one and il try stop the guy in traffic to talk to him (maybe he'll let me ride it :-D ) i'm not in a hurry, because i want to get out of winter with my jetta (yes, i know it's the most boring car in the world)

also the state of the car is not important because i work at a auto repair shop and i will repair it. does anyone have a service manual?

Haynes Manuals dont exist but the is a Bently Manual that covers the VR. Quite expensive though.

what engine and year do you recommend?

6a00d8341bf89d53ef01156fc7dd2f970c-pi.jpg

Edited by yacobwood

Dont count them? :scratch:

No not really, that engine should never have been put in a performance coupe. I can see you had one, bet you would not return though

No not really, that engine should never have been put in a performance coupe. I can see you had one, bet you would not return though

Sorry mate, couldn't be further from the truth. The fact was on my 20th birthday i couldn't insure anything else in Corrado flavour, therefore the 8v made me a very happy man!

And as already said as a daily driver or just a cruiser (my 8v at least) was fantastic! Such a nice torquey engine to drive. Lets face it, if your driving around town, who knows if its a VR or not!! ( Cant count the wheel studs, Westwoods had wheel caps :lol:)

Still loving the VR6. Even with an auto box they're fast. Heated leather would be good for Romanian winters!

Stone

Sorry mate, couldn't be further from the truth. The fact was on my 20th birthday i couldn't insure anything else in Corrado flavour, therefore the 8v made me a very happy man!

And as already said as a daily driver or just a cruiser (my 8v at least) was fantastic! Such a nice torquey engine to drive. Lets face it, if your driving around town, who knows if its a VR or not!! ( Cant count the wheel studs, Westwoods had wheel caps :lol:)

Well I had a Mk2 Golf gti 8v when I was young (still got but now with G60 11 years later), that was light enough to get away with 112bhp. I suppose it depends what you want, I guess if you are desperate for a rado then in some cases 8v would be your only option. However this thread is about best engine and in my opinion I humbley think the 2.0l 8v engine is the worst having driven a mk3 golf with one (I know it is slightly heavier)