Jim Bowen

KW Coilovers and Top mount nuts query?

Noticed this before when i put the coilovers on, but was at the end of the job so just left it, now i've taken them off again i've tried to get pictures to explain the issue.

I have this nut on top of the bearing

2011-10-14181154.jpg

^^^^ When i fitted that to the car i put the rubber bit on 1st pushed the strut up so bearing sat in the the rubber, then put that nut on top.

It didn't seem right at the time as it kinda went through the mount from above as i tightened it.

2011-10-14181133.jpg

2011-10-14181218.jpg

^^^Can just see where the nut has dropped through the rubber and damaged the rubber bit a little, i presume the domed top of bearing should fit snuggly in the opposing dome of the rubber mount.

2011-10-14181103.jpg

^^^then that on top.

Wondered if i should just swap the nuts over?

Hope this makes sense :lol:

there should be a metal cup that sits inside the top mount, that stops the bolt going through the top mount.

this is a front shock btw

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

there should be a metal cup that sits inside the top mount, that stops the bolt going through the top mount.

like a little washer that goes in from the top? makes sense but i never remember seeing one

this is a front shock btw

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

like a little washer that goes in from the top? makes sense but i never remember seeing one

yeh its like a little washer, but sits inside the top mount

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

this may help http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php?10471-MK3-Jetta-Golf-How-To-Install-Front-Coilovers

Both you and guide say the same and thats how it was, the rubber interferes with that bolt either way I think

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk