Jim Bowen

Worrying reciept from 1999

2011-10-20220226.jpg

Been sorting out the old paperwork with car and came across this one.

Was reading the bentley manual the other day and it mentioned about being room to recut the thread and VW supply a longer subframe bolt.

Seems like this has already happened on my car, bit concerned this make cause problems as i'm about to remove the subframe and heard its quite likely the bolts will be stuck or break?

Should be ok, just dig out the 3 foot breaker bar.

That car did a lot of miles quickly, 90000 cleared by 1999! Not sure the dealer knows its a 2.9 VR6 and not a 2.8 either :)

yeah i thought that about the mileage, luckily the time its spent in the garage in parts has averaged it out :lol:

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Just wondered what might cause them to need to do that work?

its likely as you say an they may have cross threaded the mounting bolt/nut so and tapped it out (all the away up, including through the untapped section of the nut). They would then use a longer bolts.

I wouldnt worry too much, plenty of penetration fluid and an extension bar should do it, just take your time. if the worse comes to it, the captive nut can be got at via the footwell for repair or replacement.

Yeah, should be ok - the reason they break is lazy garages using air tools to undo or replacing old ones and doing them up way too tight.

my local garage does that, i've sheared all the bolts on the balljoint and had to get the dremel out and cut through a couple of nuts, they only put them on a couple of years ago

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

if the worse comes to it, the captive nut can be got at via the footwell for repair or replacement.

thats good news then :)