Nathan Harvey

Problem !!! Help !!

After spending what has seemed like forever waiting for bits for my rad, but it all back together i was driving along just fine and then on selection of third gear and accelerate strange noise from engine bay. Kinda like a clicking/flapping sound only in third? This morning just popped to the garage got there fine , pulled out and the most hurrendous sound followed by no drive and gear stick is stuck in neutral as i put there . Managed to select fifth , and coasted home with the noise now even louder . Noise goes on pressing of clutch pedal , and is present at idle in neutral. Air in system ? fooked g/box ? I'm outta ideas on this one , oh its a 93 vr

Cheers in advance !!

Sounds like the clutch thrust bearing and or the clutch pressure plate is breaking up,if the prssure plate fingers have broken away you will not be able to select gears as you won't be disengaging drive between engine and gearbox,either way the box will have to come out to see.

Thanks for the advice, further to add i've just been having a play to see if i could spot anything, and when the engine is off i can move into gears freely but not reverse. Also when engine running i placed my hand hand on the cover plate on the gearbox it feels bloody aweful , something is rattling around in there. Clutch feels fine tho noise goes when pressing pedal?

The fact you have so much rattling when clutch not depressed suggests clutch pressure or drive plate is broken up,you will probably find when you take gearbox out all the drive plate springs from clutch centre plate will drop out,all you need is a new clutch kit with pressure plate,drive plate and thrust bearing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the advice just got it booked in for a clutch change 500 sheets didn't think too bad considing the amount of work and it comes with 2 year warranty. Would of done it myself but i have limited garage space.

Make sure you get the fork replaced at the same time- it's cheap and will give you peace of mind ;)

Got ya , they crack don't they ? any idea on a part number ? cheers

According to Vagcat they are 02J141719B for the lever and 012141741 for the spring.

Ian.

Turns out my gearbox is fooked!! Any one know of any where i could grab one ? would a mk3 vr one fit? any advice would be good as i'm banging my head against a wall.