Tristan H

Supercharged valvers , anyone done it here?

there's a few for sure, check out yanyards 16vg60, also a chap called flusted built one a few years ago, he was talking about using an eaton charger at one point too. also a tech called JMR i think has built a 16vg60.

ultimate valver engine in my opinion, get one built :)

Yup the 16vG60 is by far the most documented (but they use the G60 block). I also read about someone using a lysholm charger

Edit: just found it

Anyone ever use something like a newer Rotrex? (guess you would have to fab your own bracketery)

Edited by monzablau16v

Don't use the G60 block (VWM didn't for a reason)

BBM kit is not very useful, only thing I ended up using from it was some of the nice ally spacer bushes that any machine shop could knock up and the ECU chip which is miles off.

RPM tuning supply the better parts for the conversion IMHO but beware they can be terrible with delivery (5 months for my last set of parts..)

My build thread is in my signature, some useful stuff in there and plenty of pictures.

Had a read at your build, very nice car and some serious skills/knowledge there. Not sure if my car is in good enough condition to afford such attention but I'll be keeping an eye out for any bits I might need.

Do you know if anyone has used a mercedes kompressor?

And to further complicate the iussue..... wonder has it been done to an ABf'd rado?

Not that I know of but I would go down that route if I knew what I know now.

Its so much easier to integrate better engine management using a 2l ABF lump which should make the package much more responsive and adaptive than Digipants management.

it's supposedly a far superior engine too?

Not really that much different to the 9A, the reason its capable of making a comfortable 170bhp with a couple of breathing tweaks and running megasquirt is that unlike the 9A it has all the sensors on it for very acurate and effective fueling - the only real difference between and ABF and a new petrol unit from VW is the throttle body is still cable controlled and not a stepper motor setup. Its also the 1st 16v unit that has a fully adaptive ECU (read same as the VR although a different system) which makes a real difference for refining power sites/loading when mapping.

It's also widely accepted that VW de-tuned the ABF lump to leave a clear gap between it and the 2.8 VR6 which only put around 178bhp - as the ABF can run 160bhp just through an ECU map tweak then you can see why.