axcel01uk

Door Shut Tape Strips ??

My car is currently having some paintwork done and I went to check on progress today. The doors are coming off and the shuts are being painted, running across the very top of the door shuts is a thin translucent strip of tape approx 10mm wide. I guess its there to protect the body work when shutting the doors etc. This is pealing slightly and my mate at the body shop wants to remove before painting and then replace.

My question is, is this tape still available ?? if not can any one recommend an alternative and finally does anybody know what I am talking about because its tricky to explain!!!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

i know exactly what you mean as iv just cut two new ones for mine yesterday! its just a clear strip i can sort you out if you want some doing

Thats very kind mate and much appreciated. If you can PM me some details and let me know how much I will send funds to cover all costs, postage and your time etc.

Thats why I love this forum !!!!!!!!!!

Was looking at mine the other day and noting it looked like a winter storage job to do. And use up the old tape I'd previously bought last time I did it. The tape is an anti-chafe tape so that the door rubber does not rub the paint away on the door frame.

Its part number is AKL 433 012 02. The spares are made by 3M. Most likely one of their clear acrylic tapes with pressure sensitive adhesive which is resistant to automotive fluids. As well as fluids, the bodyshell temperature on a sunny day has to be withstood As above 1.2cm wide by 2metres on a roll from VW and it wasn't cheap. Its the adhesive type used that makes it expensive to be resistive to fluids and temperature.

Any wider than 1.2cm and there are problems with following the door frame curve as well as the extra width having to bend up the frame on the inside side of the door rubber position. Extra width will just end up wrinkling. Bad enough trying to get the 1.2cm width right over the length of the frame run last time.

Finding an alternative is easy, the hard part is one whose backing adhesive does not melt on a hot day and the tape moves as the door rubber pushes up against it. After a few door closes, it could look a mess again.

VW's still available? - dunno as bought the tape stock about 10 years ago. Should be as it is not special to the Corrado.

Edited by RW1

Thanks for the part number and the detailed information RW1. I done a search on the part number and like you say it appears it is used across the VW range so should hopefully still be available. Great stuff

Edited by axcel01uk
I buggered up

Ill let you have a look at the dealers first might be cheap enough ! If not i think the stuff i have is 3m mate you can have it for postage costs if you struggle

AKL 433 012 02 (Clear Tape 1.2cm x 2metres)

£6.18 + VAT = £7.42

1 roll in stock at VW UK.

Edited by RW1

Guys, thanks again for the advice and part numbers, my mate went down to the dealer for me today and managed to order some tape. No longer in stock in UK so coming from Germany so should be in hopefully by end of next week.