AB

ticking noise

just wondered if anyone has seen or heard something similar before. i have fitted a 6 branch to my vr and now get a ticking noise that sounds like it is actually coming from inside the manifold. i have covered it in soapy water when cold to see if it was cracked but no bubbles when i started it.

i love the difference it has made but this noise is driving me mad. looking like i will have to remove it to look in side : (

How loud is it ? Is it all the time or just wen you have been out for a drive and get back when its hot

Maybe could be something loose but mine ticks and crackles alot when i get back from a drive weather its been spirited or not

The 'ticking' is the exhaust noise, which is extremely loud as it exits the exhaust ports. Not much you can do about it. Cast iron manifolds benig significantly thicker and more acoustically inert damps the noise. It's common to many 4 and 6 branch manifolds.

Yeah, I know when I had a new stainless cat back system it ticked for ages but this did improve with age as it sooted up...

I've never had a manifold but as Kev says it's probably just a feature rather than a fault, I think stainless expands a lot more than cast iron too which could also be an issue.

It's just down to the thickness of the stainless mate. No offense, but cheaper X branches tend to use a thinner wall tube than the more established brands, such as SuperSprint. My old 4 branch on my valver used to sound like it was blowing it was so bad, and that was a cheap manifold. Heresite's made the same noise on his R32 conversion too, which is the dubpower (?) 6 branch, but I think his is quietening down a little now due to the carbon builds up as you say.

Always had racelands on mine, never had any issues to be fair, sounded different than with the cast iron on, but my new one has been ceramic coated this time...

Cheers

Pete

it does it from cold to hot and fair point its only a cheap one

thanks chaps may be i will leave it a little longer, as you say my first impression was it was blowing but its not.

as annoying as it is, its nice to hear others have exsperienced this and does not sound like to much of an actual problem.

i may try and take a video when it stops raining

could this be caused by the metal gasket not lining up with the ports on the manifold?