mimjed

tdi mayo question??

Helped a mate do an oil and filter change on his 1.9 tdi, i say helped, more did it for him.

But 2 weeks down the line hes got a little bit of what looks like a vaseline and oil mix around the filler cap.

Not knowing an awful lot about deisels is this normal or a cause for concern?

Do not put it on your salad ;)

Is he one of these people that drives a diesel and does 5 miles a year? Is it an early PD engine? Did you use 5W-40 fully synthetic?

VAG PD engines take a good while to warm up, so short journeys will mean the engine doesn't get up to full temperature.

Whats the oil like on the dipstick?

It does indeed do mainly short trips, bit gets up to temp each time. Hes about 7 miles from where he works.

Its a w reg mk4 golf, 115 bhp, not sure of engine code.

Never did it before oil and filter change. Indeed 5w 40 used.

Doesnt use water, not mixed in either fluid, and temps are bang on so fairly happy hg isnt the cause.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Forgot, dipstick is clean

normal, I have same mayo on my golf tdi doing 2 miles to my work and back. If not taking water and dip stick is normal you can't be bother. It's normal.

If its a PD engine it needs PD oil to prevent wear to the cam shaft, a small amount of mayo on the filler car on these colder damper days is nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on the oil in the sump for mixing.

115BHP will be an AJM engine.