northG60

Replacing a broken Rear light lense?

Hello all

i brought a set of all red rears from ebay (knowing that one was damaged via a hole) and im looking to replace the lense shown below.

im wondering if i can replace the lense below with the intact lower red lense which is on my car now? obviously very carfully cut away the lense from my existing set and the new red set, then sand down the intact one and glue it to my new set?

or any other options?

cheers guys

Am I not right in thinking that the set you bought had been sanded smooth before they were tinted. If that's the case they are going to look a bit odd with one standard section complete with logos etc. I doubt if you'll separate them but good luck if you try, I'd be smoothing and tinting a new one. You'll pick up a single light on e-bay with no problem, just do a search under 'Corrado lights'

Edited by leon263

update

well i did try to get of the already broken lense out with a heat gun on a low setting + stanly knife and its really not possible to seperate it without damaging the housing so i left it.... oh well it was worth a try as it was buggered anyway

i'll just get a replacement from ebay and sand it down + tint red

cheers guys

Good shout.

Have a close look at the other lights units and see if there are any dimples left on them. I've done a fair few sets of all reds and getting rid of the raised logos and lettering is easy but you will be left with dimples where the light came out of the mould. Getting them totally smooth is just a case of sanding, sanding and more sanding. If you are just looking to lose the lettering etc then 500 grit paper will do the job quite easily. If you are looking to lose the dimples too then go through the grades ...... 120, 180, 240, 320 and finally 500 If you have access to a dual action sander then use it and sand the whole surface of the light and not just the area around the dimple of you'll finish up with a little hollow which will be very obvious when you add the tint and lacquer. Good luck mate.