EJ Taylor

Rado NOOB! Opinions PLEASE! HELLO and HELP

Hello!,

Basically i have been on the VW scene for a while now and recently sold my much loved bug, she entered in stoner park last year and a few others, however, didnt have the balls to enter in E38 after realising what i was up against!

have attached a Photo just so you lot know what my styling is all about! as i know no car enthusiast wants some Saxo body-kit loving, Halford loyalty card holding, neon light loving chav joining there scene,

PICT0766-1.jpg

Anyway! long story short, as much as i love the style of the bug and where i had gone with it i was just fed up of driving a car slower than pretty much every thing (2.0 ltr 8v). So i thought i would branch out and see what other options i had, obviously wanting to stay VAG! At first i started looking at mk2 Scirocco's but soon realised the only "fast" mk2 they made was the 16valve and they imported such a small amount of these into the uk that its not even worth looking without having 10k

so then i thought AH! the Corrado.. so i have been looking at a few for a couple of weeks now, and went too look at a lovely one in Southampton this Saturday just gone, it all seemed kosher and despite the sunroof not working (heard this is common in Rado's) and minor rust on one of the arches it seemed like a pretty good buy,

IN SHORT!

Full VW service history

111k miles

full respray on one side so Paintwork wise is lovely (midnight blue)

and an agreed price under 2.7k

so basically i put a deposit down, and am collecting the car this coming Saturday as the guy is tax'in and mot'in the Car this week for me,

ALL I WANT FROM YOU BUSY PEOPLE IS YOUR OPINIONS! Does this sound like a good buy?............. Things i should keep on eye out for?.......... listen out for?......... SO ON SO FORTH!.........................

here is the link! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-2-9L-VR6-FVWSH-LOW-MILES-EXCELLENT-COND-DEPOSIT-TAKEN-/280760243455?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item415e9d54ff

would really appreciate any kind of help, or any helpful comments! check the link and let me know what you think, and/or things you would look out for!

Thank-you for your time, and looking forward to getting involved!

Charlie, in Oxford

looking forward to hearing back from you all and looking forward to getting on the Rado Hype :)

For the mileage and service history it sounds pretty much on the money - no bargain by any means, but provided all is at it seems, a decent price. You're the only one who has seen it, so you are the best judge of whether it is a good 'un or not!

Bodywork is key on an older car - the rust may be an issue depending on how bad it is and which arch it's on? Rust at the front of the rears could be some cause for concern if not treated.

Noise-wise, the main thing to listen out for is the sound of the VR6 on song when you floor it on the way home :-) But more practically, listen out for rattles from the chains and tensioners as this is a big job. With full VWSH and only 111k miles on the clock, they should be fine, though the original tensioners do tend to wear more than they should.

I'd also set some money aside for fixing all the niggles a 17 year old car is bound to have (the sunroof being one of them).

chers for that mate, was really helpful, after taking your advice i decided not to get the car, going to look at another one tonight though. one of the last ones made in 1996, with all the trimmings, and everything working. just hope its what i think it is!

Take a look at C5 OEM's in the for sale section and in his member gallery. The mileage is higher than the first car you mentioned but it is a fantastic car. I met the previous owner before he bought it and it was a great car then. Since C5 bought it he's refurbisbhed much of it and it includes some very rare cream leather recaros. It is often at shows and is a lovely, lovely car. At the price he's now asking (£3250) it is an absolute bargain.

C5 OEM would definitely be the one to go for if I was in the market for a VR6. It's a limited edition Storm as well, and looks fantastic in the flesh. More miles than the one you were looking at, but you're going to struggle to find a better condition car.

yer i just got off the phone to him, he is the other side of the country, so would cost me over £150 in petrol there and, however ill have a think as the journey may be worth it. looks beautiful though!

To find the right Corrado you have to be prepared to travel. There are only a few thousand left in the country. Many of those are in poor condition. Many won't be a VR6. So the chances of finding one on your doorstep in the right condition are slim. Even if you decide not to look at this one then the chances are that you would have to travel in the future for another. You'd be very lucky indeed to find something like this on your doorstep and the £150 cost for travel is more than offset by the fact it's way under market value for a Storm in this condition with cream recaros and those wheels.

Whereabouts are you located? Could you look for cheaper travel methods such as megabus for example?

Edited by Portent

i understand what you are on about mate and by no means do i disagree! but i think u have not understood me correctly or i havnt explained myself! i am well aware i wont find a bargain of a Rado "on my doorstep" however as i have no car my dad has been doin all of the driving to the ones i have looked at so far! we agreed a 150 mile radius, and i have looked from bristol to southampton to sussex, all over the midlands, however the location of this one is over 180 miles from me, and as im aware these are not common and am in no way disagreeing this is a truly lovely car, i am also aware that other ones do exist on patients is a virtue, although i have not completely written this car of in my head, i will just see how it plays out...... hope u catch my drift buddy :)

sound!

Good luck whatever you decide. I understand where you're coming from - I had a chance to look at an A4 TDI down in London which sounded perfect for what I needed and loaded with optional extras, but I couldn't justify the cost of travelling down there only to find it wasn't what I wanted.

180 miles isn't far to go for the car you want, but it's an awfully long way to go for one you don't.

I have heard of people on here asking other members local to cars for sale to check them over for them before they buy, which could be an option. That way you'd only need to pay for a train ticket to Manchester and then the petrol to get you back.