Robbo149

Removing window tints

Thinking of removing the window tints in my Corrado - the rear screen is a bit 'blurry' & the drivers & passenger windows have a couple of scratches from opening & closing. Is it just a case of peeling off, or is there a technique for removing tinting film? Main thing I'm worried about is wrecking the rear heating element.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Robbo

THe police documentaries just show them tearing it off in handfuls! (only for the front windows though - you're allowed less tint than on the rear windows so they catch people out more often). For the back I'd just go slowly and try to peel perpendicular to the resistive elements so they don't get pulled away. IPA is good for removing most kinds of glue and will leave it streak-free.

Stone

Sorry for sounding like a numpty, but what's IPA? The only IPA I know is India Pale Ale - but I am an old dude! :-)

Cheers,

Robbo

Whoops, sorry! IPA also stands for isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), aka rubbing alcohol. Makes a great all-purpose solvent and degreasing agent for when soap and water don't cut it :)

Stone

Whoops, sorry! IPA also stands for isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), aka rubbing alcohol. Makes a great all-purpose solvent and degreasing agent for when soap and water don't cut it :)

Stone

And here was me thinking it was India Pale Ale. Ah well I've bought it now.

Wullie - shame on you, as that would be such a waste!

I dont see the attraction to having rather dark window tints, what are people wanting to hide??? My cousin has them on the back windows and the rear screen and it makes it hard for him to reverse and has bumped into a bollard before.

Then there's those idiots/morons who have really dark windows and then are also wearing sunglasses! = madness

Had to do some night driving in a hire car with tinted rear screen once, it was a nightmare! I can understand why people would want them the same all round but why not keep the fronts legal and then match the rears to them?

Having heavy tints just gives bored plod a reason to stop your car and find all the things you haven't got around to fixing - plus if you have an accident the insurance may decide you were at fault! I'd think about getting a windscreen with sunstrip if I ever need a new one but that'd do me...

Stone