P3rks

VR6 ticking/tapping

Not at all, I can't remember who recomended it, I want to say Kevin. But old VR's love it, I know that.

I've been running it for years now with only one side effect. It's quieter.

I use the Castrol Edge 10w60 - used in BMW M engines. It's fully synthetic so I think it's a little thinner anyway.

May have to look into that. I went to 10w50 and it quietened things down for a few months but it's starting to sound a tad agricultural again. I'm saving for an engine rebuild but would like to make the car not sound too clapped out for as long as I can!

I quoted on a thread may not have been this one but Castrol Racing 10w60 is what I used to use in my Cosworth and never had an issue very good oil

Ive just got my first VR and having the same issue by the sounds of it... was very worried but judging by some comments on here im eased slightly! The car is due a service so will try the 10w60 oil and go from there!

We shall see eh....

I have this noise too, have recently used the BMW 10/60 oil and no difference.

Something i did notice at the weekend when working on the car with inlet manifold off, was where the noise is coming from, rear of engine and on the aux belt side. Looking into the head through the inlet holes i could see oil running down the valve that is left most. All the others were clean. not sure if its related.

What is the talc powder method?

EXACTLY the same issue, except mines silent untill it warms up.

going to try that 10w 60 this weekend, see if that makes a difference, FYI i recently rebuilt the top end on mine with new hydraulic lifters, timing chain, tensioner, guides, mk4 gasket, with headwork including polished valves/head.

recently had it dyno`d at 205bhp 203ftlb torque... so theres nothing seriously wrong with it, other than it ****ing me off haha

For 10 quid try some whynns valve lifter treatment , you pour it into your engine and run the engine give it a bit of right foot long road test. drain the oil

And refill with fresh oil and filter , it's worked on quite s few cars it's a golden liquid . You can find it in most motor factors and ebay.