mike_303

Strange headlight issue.

Bit of a weird one that only concerns the headlight on full beam, when I accelerate the light flickers between dim and no light at all, let go of the peddle and the lights are absolutely fine, at any speed of the rev range and the second acceleration is then applied the problem re-occurs. Does not affect any other lights at all.....

Any suggestions or anyone had this before?

Has the headlight loom been uprated?? Mine was done before I bought the car and the standard of wiring is pretty poor, It sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. If you boot it and the loom moves a little it could cause this to happen.

Nah I've had both headlights out and nothing obvious but it is only under driving conditions which makes it a right pain to diagnose!

Alternator problem perhaps?

Yeah thats my next thing to look at, I tested it the other day and it puts out 13.7v under load but I might change the regulator to see if that changes anything.

Got to be a connection issue, there is a fuse for each main beam too, re-seat this and also swap the bulb too if you've not already - more likely to be wiring though as above, especially if a loom is fitted

Well I replaced both my bulbs with some night breakers as a matter of course, and theres no uprated loom fitted, ive had the headlights out and back in doing various bits and pieces. Will have a go with the fuses. If I'm correct its just the switches and fuses, theres no standard vw relay for the lights is there?