fla

audi interior gauges (volts etc) - recalibration?

One of the many projects i keep starting and then running out of time! Is there any way to recalibrate the oil temp gauge to measure from 70C up to say 130C? The current ones goes up to 170C which i hope i never reach!

If it can be done, which i assume will require a different sender, i'll get some new gauge templates made up.

what is the situation regarding wiring - should the temp gauge be simply wired to the spade on the oil filter housing with a switched live from somewhere? Any thoughts on a recalibration, or presumably it is not possible?

Also, with the volts gauge i applied 12V from my charger to it and it showed up as around 13V. Measured the charger with a meter and it was around 11.8. SHould i move the gauge needle to 12V or has this been deliberately set to account for an indirect source reading?

what is the situation regarding wiring - should the temp gauge be simply wired to the spade on the oil filter housing with a switched live from somewhere? Any thoughts on a recalibration, or presumably it is not possible?

Also, with the volts gauge i applied 12V from my charger to it and it showed up as around 13V. Measured the charger with a meter and it was around 11.8. SHould i move the gauge needle to 12V or has this been deliberately set to account for an indirect source reading?

yeah, gauges don't draw much current, so just take the power off something (ignition switched) from the dash.

I'd imagine the old gauges are just way out, no harm in popping the needle off and on again, the exact position isn't too critical as you'll get to see what is 'normal' on the gauge anyway.

By calibration, I guess you mean the range, not the starting point, you would need a different temp sender if yo uwanted a narrower range, not sure what sender that would be though.

ok thanks for that David. These gauges are just voltmeters anyway measuring the p.d. between the two points. So you're right its the range i would want to change, but i wouldnt know what voltage reading that would equate to. Maybe some electronic boffs could assist?