Jim Bowen

Setting up engine support beam?

put my engine beam on top of bay and used the two lifting points, top left and bottom right.

But as i tighten it all up the beam slides down the wing on the right side as you stood in front of car. So the beam sits diagonally across the bay, and also the section of inner wing it ends up sitting on doesn't feel strong enough to take the weight.

My mate noticed that on the gearbox there is a hoop/hole, can i use that for lifting/supporting engine?, Hoping that would stop beam sliding about

there should be hard rubber feet on the support legs that sit in the engine bay channels.

isn't there a screw thread that you have to wind along the engine bar so that it sits horizontal once it is all connected up? Think of it as a see-saw with a fatty boom boom on one end and a skinny stickman on the other. You want the pivot point closer to the fatty end (which ever end is pulling downwards in your case)

hth,

Jon.

I have no idea what you just said :)

isn't there a screw thread that you have to wind along the engine bar so that it sits horizontal once it is all connected up? Think of it as a see-saw with a fatty boom boom on one end and a skinny stickman on the other. You want the pivot point closer to the fatty end (which ever end is pulling downwards in your case)

hth,

Jon.

I guess what he means is the lifting points used on the engine are not directly underneath the beam, so the engine twists the supports and so one side slips.

One answer would be to use an old seatbelt as a lifting sling under the gearbox rather than a built in lifting point, but again you need the beam central over the supported part of the engine or the engine will swing forwards or backwards.

I found a simliar thing on the 4 cyl cars, but to a lesser extent, the engine twisted slightly once unbolted from the mounts making refitting the gearbox a pain, and it's even worse if that happens when you are unbolting the subframe!

I did seem to have plently of room for manouver with the beam's feet on the inner wing though, and all the inner wing seemed perfectly strong enough.