sam2.0

Dodgy electrics when driving

Just driving along and all of a sudden the stereo cut off, I put this down to the dodgy ignition barrel. But then the wipers slowed right down, lights dimmed to pretty much off, heater stopped, and ABS light came on. Pulled over, cut power and tried again. Didn't start, gave it 5 mins, and it fired up fine, was then fine for the rest of the journey.

The battery would have had a good charge, as it done a 3 hour journey on Saturday. But it has done some shorter runs, 20 mins or so over the past few days.

I've read about a relay (18?) that causes some of these issues, will try to sort one soon. Any other ideas?

Check the output of your alternator first of all, if you attach it to the battery with car running, you just see output a smidge under 14v.

Hoping for a bit more help. I've had the battery on charge and still seem to be getting the same issue.

It seems to be when a few electronics are on. For instance today, I had the lights, rear de-steamer, radio and heater on.

Rev counter drops to 0, unless you give it some throttle and it pops back up. Wipers still going slow.

I've also noticed a squeaky belt. Could it be slipping on the alternator?

A few of the same symptoms as I have had....revs dropping, cutting out and not starting sometimes. Sounds like your car actually lost electricity fully, as mine did. It's hard to tell if it cuts out fully or just enough to turn stereo off for example. Have you lost power steering?

I cleared my ISV out and that helped...sounds weird but it stopped the revs dropping, and car cutting out. The main culprit is the ignition switch though...I have a new one waiting to go on but I have fixed it temporarily by pushing the switch in more and lifting the key in the ignition a bit when it's stubborn.

I know I have a slight drain somewhere and if i leave the car for 2 weeks it won't start. Don't know if this is anything to do with it. I get the same symptoms as you when I have let the battery run flat IN THE CAR...if I use the car and keep the battery topped up (through driving or charger) it doesn't happen. Weird ay?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Edited by joeyboswell

I would look at cleaning the pulleys with some disc brake cleaner/degreasant. And / or tightening the belt. If the problem still persists then next I'd look at replacing the alternators regulator (easy fix).

Now you mention the belt, it does squeak a bit. Not sure what one though. Is that is slipping? So not getting charged?

best bet as mentioned is test the voltage of the alternator with a voltmeter, or you could take it some where {like a battery place} and they can test it for you, its a 10 second job

I got the battery tested at a local tyre centre. It was reported that it needed replacing.

Took it back to a branch of where it was purchased, it was charged for a few hours and tested and reported that it was all fine. So they didnt swap it. I was told it was probably so flat that it gave a false reading.

Anyway, I'm going to run the car and see if/how long it takes to go flat. Then I'll look into the alternator...

If you need the cross-over relay (number 18) I have a brand new genuine one still in bag as I never fitted it. £13 at VAG, Happy to do £5 posted for a forum member.

What condition is your ignition switch in? All those systems that you said cut out at the same time could also be linked to the switch/relay circuit mentioned. Although the car shouldn't die, and my rev counter never fluttered when I was having these problems. in my experience when a VW battery/alternator fails everything goes off quite quickly including the engine.

The ignition does seem a bit broken, if I stop the car sometimes the stereo (switched power) goes off, sometimes it doesn't. It also wont start from the last (but engine running) position, it needs to go all the way off and back on.

Voltage across the battery is 13.66 at 1k and 2k rpm. Battery's been checked by the company who sold it. It errored first, went on a charge, and then no errors. So they said they won't swap it out.

Is it worth looking at the ignition? Or just bite the bullet and buy a new battery?

It also wont start from the last (but engine running) position, it needs to go all the way off and back on.

Pretty sure that's normal - after stopping the engine by turning the key to the accessories-only position, you can't restart it without turning it fully off. On mine, anyway!

Can't help with the rest though...

Alternator is better than mine. Mine is reading 13.4v on and off load, so I'm getting a replacement. I would try relay and ignition switch first if I was you though. Relay offered for a fiver! Bite his hand off! VW for an ignition switch a month ago was around £26 including VAT. Or you could jump in at the deep end for about £160 for a reconditioned alternator if you prefer, I know what I'd be doing first!

Ok, it maybe because its colder (although it was about 8degrees this morning), but it seems to like to cut out straight away once I've started it. I've taken to giving a bit of gas on ignition to help it out, but it takes the revs then dies.

Can't imagine it would be soley down to a faulty battery (although I wouldn't rule it out). I'd start by replacing it anyway. If you get the same problem start testing for any high voltage around the alternator.

had this same problem engine would fire then die pretty much instantly, it was diagnosed as the crankshaft sensor changed it quite easy job and all was fine !

The car does seem to splutter about when started, doesn't die every day, but defiantly struggles to stay alive.