EJ Taylor

C7 VDB - Regret

Right then, i am a month or so new to the forum, i had my Corrado about 3 weeks now, brought her from a bloke in Clevedon, she was on the road and running fine, but last Friday 25-11-11, she started showing a few symptoms of a head gasket on its way out, so i sniff tested her and its either the head or the gasket, as there wear exhaust fumes coming out the coolant reservation, so thats a bad start to the Corrado ownership,.......... OR IS IT?

so now this has happened i have put her in my garage, and its time to "Que the music" as i am no Defeatist and am going to use this misfortune to my advantage, while the heads of and getting the pressure tested/skimmed, it is all hands on deck! and i have got all sorts of mods and tweaks going on these next few weeks,

So here is the Build as it started when i purchased her about 3 weeks back, already fitted was a stainless steal cat-back exaust sytem wich runs at the same Db as the standard system, brand unknown, also a Carbon fibre induction kit and coilovers, all bran unknown but it all seems to be low budget cheap mods, so these will all be gone and up-spec'd as soon as she is back and bruising!

First thing achieved is a Re-forced sump, due to a spare welder some free time and some steel sheeting, me and a friend cut out the Existing "sump bottom" and re-welded in a 6mm steel plate, water tested it, after this we then welded an extra 4mm plate over the top of that,... in short.... i have a habit of getting through sumps like toilet paper!

310924_10150948870900524_527825523_21829625_15012776_n.jpg

Then it was time to head down to Oxford and mine's favourite Audio shop to get my salvaged full JL Audio system fitted and wired in, i would do it myself like usual, but didnt want to break anything getting door cards of etc... so i had a bit of a helping hand, also whilst in there work shop, i De-wipered the rear window, and de-badged her, all neatly done, wont see no Barry Boy shizz in this thread!

315686_10150935990260524_527825523_21788324_1391327047_n.jpg

also in my spare time i run a Detailing company, so i gave it the full Extreme Clean.co paint renovation and detail (CHECK-IT http://www.facebook.com/EXtremeClean.Co) .. no offence to the last few hundred people who owned this car but my standard of clean and other peoples are very far apart, so this little paintwork TLC session was madly needed!

302689_10150408433668622_638493621_8474177_1150063546_n.jpg

383951_10150408457148622_638493621_8474395_1145171784_n.jpg

Then of we went to our first VW meet, the local Oxfordshire main meet, (Dub Club Oxford "DCO")... few of the present Camera boffins had a go at finding her best side, one things for sure though, DAM! Corrado's look nice from behind!

378156_10150924196905385_746700384_21450179_106016460_n.jpg

375377_10150935990190524_527825523_21788323_1522215703_n.jpg

at the meet the overall opinion was very impressed, and a brilliant car for the money (obviously couldn't foresee future events).

SO,........ overall I F***ing love owning a Coraddo, weather its on the road or in the garage, I love it! i been on the VW scene a while now and have the fortune of making all previous mistakes with previous cars, so i no what to and not to do this time around, my overall look inspiration is something that looks nasty, but doesn't stand out, something quite, but packing a huge punch, there isn't enough time in the day for me to list all i have planned for this, but generally it will be a fun ownership and i am looking forward to getting to know a few of you and really get into the scene, there will be a lot going on these next few months so ill keep you all updated!

I hope my thread amused you for a few minutes, and please please share your opinions and comments, good or bad.....

thanks for your time,

Edited by EJ Taylor

Boost monkey, what does DBP mean..... haha and VW_owner for the time being i managed to find 4 black rubber gromits that fit the holes exactly, of-coarse in the future this will happen, but it may just have to wait till the re-spray...... :)

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

you can see the 4 tiny gromits in the last picture

Edited by EJ Taylor

DBP = Dark Burgundy Pearl aka paint colour. I'm guessing that's what yours is? (Paint code LC3U).

Does it actually need a respray? I'd get the engine issues sorted first.

obv didnt make myself clear..... re-spray is on of the last things on the list, the cherry on the cake,........You need to make the cake before u can decorate.. you hear me? haha

Edited by EJ Taylor

um... how to explain... sleeper is like a way of modifying a car to surprise someone, something that doesnt stand out from every day life, but nails a Porshe of the line, for example, a mk3 polo, that looks standard, with a 6ltr Chrysler V8 in the back, all blacked out and nasty looking, just google it lol Hard to explain in a thread! but generally a Corrado is already a sleeper in the making, as to anyone who isnt a vw/car enthusiast, it just looks like an old VW but what they dont know is it goes like **** of a shovel (speaking from a vr owners point of view) as i said it hard to just explain it, but the Corrado is Definitely my Ideal plank canvas for this desired outcome!

Ordered the new manifold yesterday, "thing of beauty!"

Capture.png

as previously mentioned getting the head ported and polished to match Manifold.

tbh i think the corrado isnt realy a sleeper, imo it actual looks like it should be a fairly quick car, slim, sleek and aero dymanic are just what you want for a sporty car and the C has just that, now a standard looking mk2 golf driver with a vr6 power plant is what idd call a sleeper ;)

you 2 are talking from the corrado owners point of view, i know alot of people dont understand fully what these cars are, and on that basis i think it is a bit of an underdog, since i brought it im forever explaining what a corrado vr6 is and how fast it is, etc.... by no means am i stating the car is a phenomenal achievement of engineering "the greatest car ever made" (although i myself do think very highly of the motor) im very much aware there is alot faster out there, im just sayin that of corse from a corrado owners point the view its never goin to be a sleeper (suprise) as you know full well what the car is about, but from the everyday world point of view so many people havnt got a clue what the car even is, let alone how well it goes, on that bassis i think it can be a sleeper maybe not to the VW world but to everyone else, its a cheeky little surprise when it pulls of or makes that VR ROAR!

IMO!

Sound!

haven't updated for a while.... since i last posted i sent the motor over to the lads at Stealth Racing where they conducted a number a mods and upgrades as well as the head overhaul new gasket kit and re-fitment of valves so-on... the main things worth mentioning are the 268 schimmel cams, New stainless manifold (as pictured above) New chains and runners, Chip and Map on the Dyno, New Upgraded Stealth recommended Clutch, and a few other little bits here and there, also the obvious engine flush and filter changes,

Since that i have had a few problems, mainly consisting of pipes blowing/ splitting, this i found out not 3 days back was all due to a water pump having only one (YES ONE) prop left on it, so the water wasn't circulating atall, hence the pressure build up and the few pipes blowing, with this in mind i replaced the water pump, also replacing the relevant belt as i know there a bitch to do so while the pump was out thought i might as well,

Following this the KW Variant 2 Suspension i ordered from Germany arrived so i fitted that the day it arrived after work.. impatient some say...

IMG-20120123-00067.jpg

IMG-20120123-00069.jpg

with all that in mind, i hope it made a good read,

>>>>> Next things on the list, Silicone hose replacement... Drilled and grooved pads/ brake upgrades, forged pistons, (wheels sorted end of February) Front Bumper Re-spray, All red rear lights, Fibre glass custom intake from where fog light is, also fixing the inevitable now broken sunroof.... any advice, tips, things to looks out for, or useful links on any of these would be awesome.

thanks again for your time!

More updates!

MOMO Team Racing 300mm steering wheel and boss, top present from the folks for my birthday!

IMG-20120223-00122.jpg

Venair Silicone Hoes kit, wasn't as hard to fit as i thought!

IMG-20120229-00143.jpg

IMG-20120301-00150.jpg

Finally sorted the new wheels, so happy with these! really set the whole car of!

IMG-20120308-00153.jpg

Being 9j on the rear a few adjustments were needed!

IMG-20120310-00161.jpg

IMG-20120310-00160.jpg

How she sat Saturday all ready for UD12

IMG-20120310-00159-1.jpg

My little souvenir from UD12, such an awesome day!

IMG-20120311-00165.jpg

IMG-20120311-00167.jpg

loving how she looks atm, overall a very expensive and very productive week or so... next up, respraying the front end,

will try stay updated

Charlie

Hope you treated / protected those arches afterwards otherwise they're gonna rust like hell!! :|

thanks :), yer thats them... guy selling them was such a nice bloke, ended up getting the wheels, tyres, spacers/adaptors, and 2 sets of studs including lockers for £500, oh and the genuine home mad Las Vegas dice dust caps! The wheels are SUCH good condition too! was a right "bobby dazler" of a deal! when they first arrived i just thought they will never fit, but turned out they sit picture perfect :)

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Hope you treated / protected those arches afterwards otherwise they're gonna rust like hell!! :|

yes mate of corse i did :) 3 coats of the thickest of hammerite! my dads bin doing classic car restoration for over 40 years, and has made some of the most expensive cars all around the world, I wouldn't let just anyone take a grinder to my car haha

Edited by EJ Taylor

I have been watching them wheels for a month :lol: but just got so many other things to get on with :lol:

They suit it well :)

thanks chaps :) means alot, yer since i first got it i wanted some either RH cups, or staggered Porsche wheels. so picture this, i had 500 spare, then saw a set a Staggered Porsche cups for sale for 500, with tyres and spacers the lot... ready to go straight on a 5x100pcd... well i thought it was Christmas come Fekin early! haha just had to be done! :D was ment to be

Looks awesome mate.

Can't beat a black VR. I reckon those wheels would look awesome in aeromax finish!

How are you finding the v2's? I need a new set of coilies as my rear shocks have given up.. :(

thanks mate, yer would look nice! the V2s are absolutely brilliant, iv had a number of cars on a number of different suspension set-ups and with all my friend cars in mind the v2 are some of the best suspension i have experienced! the price does reflect this mind you at over a grand a set, but there are just amazing mate! like your driving on rails, firm yet very smooth. would never buy anything different. thumb up from me anyway.... when suspension is in mind it just depends on price... what i did was just look at reviews, there are thousands on the web :)