sam2.0

Quick help! (Door handle)

I'm trying to get my door handle out the door to replace the crap part in it.

But the cable will not budge. Its very tight, so I don't want to stretch it. I've seen a plastic tab on the bottom of the handle (underneath) and put a screwdriver in that, but still no luck.

How do I get the cable out without damaging it. (I was also thinking of tying some string to it, so if it falls back in, I don't lose it forever.

Have you got the door card off??

You need to disconnect the cable.

Grr, I just read somewhere I didn't need to take the door card off. Was hoping for a easy job.

I'll take it off. Screw locations? Save me some time!

(Why does the repair kit only tell me how to change the piece of metal, not remove the door card)

It depends how much slack there is I guess but it doesn't sound like you have very much to play with .... so to speak.

Depends on how well it's been attached previously, but my door card was only held on by a couple of screws at the handle end. You may be able to pop those screws off and then bend the door card outwards by a couple of inches - on mine it had just enough flex to get my hand in and unplug the cable. Lazy but it might work?

Stone

There is a cable clip inside the door on the end of the door if that makes sense. Also on the end of the door there is a Black plastic cover, prise this out for greater access.

(Why does the repair kit only tell me how to change the piece of metal, not remove the door card)

Because you have to think for yourself at some point lol

...and done!

My only problem now, is it looks like the screw at the end of the door, that holds the handle in place, sheared when I was undoing it. No matter how much I turn the screw (anti-clockwise) it wont tighten.

Does anyone have a photo or size, so I can compare mine? Or even a spare bolt?

Hold on... the central locking wire is attached to the handle, doesn't come off and is clipped onto the door at the bottom so door card must come off - very important to run the wire correctly and clip it to the door to avoid the window mech too. The bolt on the drivers side on certain models is reverse thread (you see an arrow on the bolt) - the replacement handle may not be.

Correct about the cable.

And as I took the bolt out, I knew it was reverse threaded when I put it back in ;)

I've not replaced the handle, just the latch that is very brittle and broke.

Of course. It'll only be a few pennys.

But, I wanted to confirm if mine was indeed knackered, or if I'm not doing it right (maybe the handle is slightly in the wrong place etc)

ETA: It made some horrible noises when I removed it.

Woohoo, found the nut on my work car park!

Bad news is the thread has gone on the door handle. Soooo, I need a new door handle, change the barrel, then change my new 'door fix' to the door handle.

I tried to get hold of a door handle over the past couple of weeks but had no joy, as I stripped my thread too. I re-tapped the thread yesterday to standard thread. Seems to work OK with an M6 machine screw borrowed on a permanent basis from work.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that.

Will get it done at work tomorrow. Thanks. Virtual beer for you