Rorgasm

VR6 info

Morning everyone.

i've Come across a vr6 for sale that im going to have a look at today. Needs a few bits doing to it like new interia & alternater (thats all the info i have so far). Was hopeing those who own one could give me the heads up on;

Ave MPG

TAX

Things to look out for on a vr6

I'm currently driving a valver which im enjoying greatly but you know what its like.....progresstion has to take hold at some point.

Any info would be Appreciated

Thanks

Rory

MPG depends on how you drive and what you use the car for. As a daily I was getting about 27mpg on a tank (included urban, traffic and motroway).

Tax will be the same as the valver

Insurance may be your biggest cost increase.

Chains are the biggie on the VR6, so check for evidence they've been done. If not, then be vary wary of any rattles coming from that area of the engine. Also check for oil smoke - could be something like valve seals but they can ovalise cylinders 1 and 6 when they start to go. Mileage isn't a massive issue if it's been looked after - mine is approaching 225k and is smooth, quiet and uses no oil and water, but it had FVWSH until 175k.

As above tax is same on the VR, also fuel consumption is comparable to the valvers too. Agree with checking for rattles, but the engine may rattle a little when first started. Take it for a drive and check for blue smoke out the back when off throttle when going down a hill - if there is it could be a sign of stem valve seals. Also maybe worth checking the spark plugs as they can tell you alot about an engine - pay particular attention to cylinders 1 and 6 (back left and front right cylinders) as if the plugs are choked up with black residue it could be burning oil = bore wear, which they are prone to.

The rest is just usual stuff really.

Cheers for the advice guys.

Turns out the add was writen by a blind man. The poor Corrado had been R*ped for parts for a G60, which the guy want £6,500 for??? Surely Borbet alloys & carbon fiber bonnet can't push up the price that much?? All that was left of the Vr was the engine & the chassis. Much bigger project than i though it would be. So for that reason.........im out.

Will remember your advice for when i stumble across the next vr6.

Thanks once again:thumbleft:

i would be extremly happy if it did. my valver is normally around the 21mpg mark (24mpg if i do a bit of Sunday driving but my C isn't keen on that sort of behaviour)......what about you Boost Monkey??

The engine has had a remap and KR cams put in. It was about that MPG when I had the car

Valvers seem very hit and miss with fuel economy. My first and second 16vs would always be high 30's (sometimes low 40s!) on a run, whereas one of my later ones used to get low 30s at best, even though it was running really well. Around town it would be low-mid 20s, which was worse than any of my VRs.