mimjed

another day another problem :(

def not corrado related!

my old mans car (04 mazda premacy 2.0 tdi) had a problem a few months back where it seemed the rear offside caliper wasnt releasing properly and only the pad on the outside (facing you with the wheel off) had worn away to nothing and destroyed the disc.

he asked me to replace discs and pads so i did that for him. cant have even been 3 months and its the same story, outer pad has worn away to nothing but the inner is fine. everything is connected, seated and tightened up correctly.

i am correct in thinking the caliper has given up, or is there a bais valve thats not working as it should?

can stick a picture up if the description isnt clear enough.

not knowing bugger all specific about mazdas im a bit stumped. at around £85 plus vat for a new caliper and flexi brake lines, its not overly cheap and if it doesnt fix the problem ill feel terrible. with a set of pads and brake fluid itll be well over a tonne.

the piston moves to push the inner pad and the outer pad is pulled in by the caliper (on most conventional single piston calipers) so I reckon the caliper isn't moving on it's sliders, at least make sure the sliders are free and the piston can be wound back. Handbrake operation should be checked too just to make sure too.

usually if everything is working correctly the inner pad would wear out first.

as david says, try greasing the slider mech. Don't use copper grease as it's slightly abrasive and can eat through seals. something like LM grease should work fine.

the piston moves to push the inner pad and the outer pad is pulled in by the caliper (on most conventional single piston calipers) so I reckon the caliper isn't moving on it's sliders, at least make sure the sliders are free and the piston can be wound back. Handbrake operation should be checked too just to make sure too.

usually if everything is working correctly the inner pad would wear out first.

It could also be an issue with the handbrake cables being stiff causing a slight drag and then wear on the pads, also well worth checking the sliding pins move freely and there are no holes in the little rubber boots they sit in - while you are there put a bit of grease on the sliding pin to keep it working well (should be red rubber grease but LM grease will work too).

Also worth checking that the pad moves freely (lateral movement only) when fitted in the carrier assembly, it it doesn't this will also give excessive pad wear, easy enough to sort just file down the corrosion on the carrier and then coat with some copper grease.

As it has been like it for a while it could be the caliper but worth checking out the other elements of the system as it will be cheaper to replace the handbrake cables and slap a bit of lube on pins than fit a new caliper.

Nice one for replys.

Movement was fairly good on slider pins, removed the caliper today for a good check over. didn't notice any damage to boots but I'll double check tomorrow.

Havnt tried winding piston back in but it wasnt hard to do so last time I changed the pads.

Have actually got a full set of handbrake cables so I'll swap them over tomorrow and grease up with new pads. Fingers crossed