Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Tick...tick...tick..

Help!

Driving home the other night,I noticed a strange ticking sound coming from the engine.As I applied power It got louder/faster and when I came off the throttle,it went away.

I've been told it could be the injection system(butterflies or something :?: )or is it that not enough oil is getting to the top end?

Please help cos it's driving me nuts!!!

exhaust manifold?

Can u elaborate?

I dont think it's pinking.Could be the tappets.Are they adjustable?

when a exhaust manifold isnt quite tight or is damaged it can make a ticking noise that is fairly loud. think its the gasket that ticks when thye pulses hit it. happened on my scirocco when i did the exhaust n inlet port. i didnt have it quite tight n it ticked. when at idle it was quiet though.

tappets tend to make a different sound to that. usually u can still hear them when you are off throttle. n feel them too thru screwwy on rocker cover. does it feel ok power wise

I would say it's the tappets making the noise it could be down to a faulty oil pump thats causing it as that would affect the oil pressure!! or maybe just down to worn tappets! Has the oil pressure warning light come on at all they usually come on if you belt it round corners if its not working properly!!! Also another thing to consider is have you got enough oil in the car!!! Check the dipstick first before anything else!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Oil level was the first thing I checked. :lol:

I think it could be the manifold thing as the oil level is ok and the oil pressure light has never come on.

It feels fine powerwise and the noise really only appears when the engine is hot.

I'll check out the manifold just in case,but it has never been touched since I bought the car five years ago.

it was if a bit of the gasket was petruding into any of the ports cos they hang on the studs on the scirroco presume they are the same.

note sure on much else.

Injectors maybe. mine tick a bit but nothing irregular

Does the sound stop when you stop the car??? if so it could be your ABS sensor rings, they have three big self taping screws that go through the plate and into the hub and they do come loose after time and cause a ticking sound which is the ring rubbing on the heatshield, i had the same ticking sound from my car driving me mad :mad: so i ordered new and uprated screws from VAG and that cured the problem.

regards

nigwell

Does the sound stop when you stop the car??? if so it could be your ABS sensor rings, they have three big self taping screws that go through the plate and into the hub and they do come loose after time and cause a ticking sound which is the ring rubbing on the heatshield, i had the same ticking sound from my car driving me mad :mad: so i ordered new and uprated screws from VAG and that cured the problem.

regards

nigwell

from memory blown's g-60 doesn't have abs :wink:

I'd go with the exhauste manifold / manifold to downpipe gasket , the manifold may have come loose from the cy head , or the manifold to downpipe gasket maybe blowing . The downpipe may even have a crack in it , as GazzaG60 says if it was the tappets they would tap even when you let the power off !!

if its tappets then it will be apparent when u drive from cold. my golf did that and it was obvious. stopeed after warmed up as is common. If it carries on then when warm then its something wrong. :(

rattles are not good as you probably know. and 16v's are worse if so as its more likely and more costly to sort

Good point Gazza!

Just had the front mount replaced not long ago,cos it was-in the words of the mechanic who spotted it-as if someone had cut it in two. :shock:

Roddy,s right.Mine doesn't have ABS.