ryanmac

removing side strips.

As it is winter and my car is garaged till next year and is still in need of a bit of work doing I was looking to remove the side strips to try and clean it up and smooth it out a bit so was wondering if its a case of just heating them up and pulling them off or are they attached another way?

cheers

ryan

Just do one... Clean it proper and inspect... I did on mine and it turned out some one beffore sprayed the car without removing the strips, doesnt look good

Boil the kettle and pour onto the strips then once you get a bit of strip off the body pour more hot water so it goes under the strip. The key is to do it slowly.

Exactly. Just pull the side strips off running a credit card or similar behind them to help, then wash down the tape/glue left behind with soapy water to remove any grit etc.. then caramel wheel the tape/glue off in a about 10 mins.

Jay

One of the best things i have ever bought off eBay, doddle to use especially after warm water which softens up the residue.....BTW folks over here in Spain the talk is of a 25th anniversary (2013) trip to Germany, maybe i will have a LHD non sunroof VR6 by then!

I managed to do this today. Lots and lots of hot water and an old bank card and they came of no problem. There was some little flecks of paint and the front passenger side wing has been replaced as it was mulberry purple beneath the side strip. I need to spray the wing and bumper anyway and I think it looks loads better already. I just need to debadge and smooth the rest of the car and sell my 17" bbs alloys for some banded steels and I will be happy.....