Nathan Harvey

Lupo problems

Hi all my wife's lupo is playing up, posted on club lupo with no responses(not as helpful as corrado forum). Basicly when the rad fan should come on the engine dies. when travelling along it kinda stalls but forward momentum restarts it. I've scaned it with vagcom no faults. I've recently changed the ECT sensor as a fault code appeared with flucuating temp gauge and ecu fault light. Strangely the rad fan worked with the f**k sensor. Any ideas ? oh at idle it will restart no problems

Not exactly sure, you may need to go to the dealer. We had a prob with our Lupo GTI, the brake light switch on the peddle broke and put the ECU into "get you home mode"!!!

The local garage diagnosed it as this but were as puzzled as I was, as to why it should! So they said go to VW to get a second opinion. New switch fixed the prob.

I suppose to be fair if the ECU thought there was a brake system fault.....???

I'm not sure of the engine, is it the 8v variety, there's a bunch of stuff you can check to at least narrow down where the problem might be.

Make sure there's no water ingress into the ECU or connectors, this can royally mess things up, if it has an egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation) then make sure it's removed and cleaned out thoroughly with carb cleaner.

temp sensors on these engines can be pretty dodgy and if the vag new price is too hefty I've had good results with cheap pattern ones, the 4 pin water ecu and temp gauge sensors seem the worst.

It may have a MAP sensor too which can get really gummed up from crank vent fumes, and on that subject make sure the throttle body is well cleaned of oily gunk too. I'd imagine the rad temp switch is directly connected to the ECU, so check it's connections and possibly remove and check it's switching points in hot water (can easilt do this in a pan of water on a hob with a multimeter)

Some of these engines can give pretty unhelpful error codes unless it's a simple ignition or lambda fault and it takes a lot of research to track down the real source of issues.