seanl82

Another possible coil pack thread!

Hi again Gents, after getting a new battery yesterday, returned home all fine. I then fitted the new battery, went to start the car and it sort of spluttered into life. I went to give it some revs and it died. It then refused to start. Turning it over, I can smell fuel but I don't have a deep socket to remove the plug to make sure so not entirely 100%. I did stick an old plug into the lead though and grounded it out before turning the car over. This produced no spark. I managed to also lock myself out of the car yesterday with the engine running too :bonk: and had to pull the king lead from the coil to stop the engine before disconnecting the battery. At the time though I could see and hear the coil still arching away when the lead was pulled (hence the reason for disconnecting battery). This time though I don't hear anything when canking. Should I hear anything? And does it sound like a duff coil? Also is there anything else that would cause it to not spark when cranking etc. Thanks fellas!

Ok I've replaced the coil with two other used ones, and still no spark. What else is there in the line that may cause this anyone???

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

To add, I don't have 12v to coil either. Supposed to be going to Bristol tomorrow for Xmas with family, help please!

Ok, been through every thread now relating to non starting and coil pack issues. I've had to insure the crappy pug that was sorn to get up to the parents for Xmas too. I have no spark, and no voltage to coil, not sure if I'm getting fuel 100% although pump relay is pinging, and I can smell it around the bay, but cant hear pump working/priming. My radio has no power and elec windows are hit and miss, so will get a new ign switch, fuel pump relay, and ecu relay tomorrow from vw. Does it even have an ecu being an early kr? Will also get a hall sender as didn't get one with the other service items I picked up yesterday. To reiterate it started just! After fitting a new battery, and went to give it some gas it just cut out. Since then it's not starting at all. Anyone had these symptoms that have turned out to be anything else???

Thought I'd complete the thread invade someone stumbled upon it in a search.

As said above, was getting no spark, but on further investigation, I was getting no fuel either. The relay pinging was actually the ignition master relay. I swapped out fuel pump relay for a couple of new ones, and did the same for the coil. Picked up a new ignition switch this morning and fitted it with the help of the guide in the wiki section. To add to that at of now, switch is £26.89 incl VAT from VW, and the small brass retaining screw was not visible until I'd half demolished the old one. PITA to get the old one out, butnew one was a little easier. Just that screw that's the only difficult thing to do. Anyway, did that but still had nothing. Checked behind the fuseboard and all seemed ok. No damp, and connections seemed sound. Batteries on the multimeter died so didn't test voltages etc, but decided to remove my immobiliser for peace of mind. Didn't think it would be this, as it's only 4 years old, was professionally installed and all wires were soldered in and properly spliced. On removal though, she fired straight away. I can only conclude it got wet when I replaced the heater matrix. I thought originally it just cut power, but as the engine was turning over, I dismissed the immob as being the problem. Don't make the same mistake I did, it only takes 10 mins to remove so it's worth a shot before forking out for things that aren't necessary!