Imgolfman

Early spec clocks fault.

Hi all. Seem to have another problem with my '91 g60. The fuel, temp and rev gauge aren't working and the handbrake light is very dim. I don't think the oil light comes on when I switch the ignition on either. Don't no if it worked before I got the car (not used it yet) or since fitting my new engine. Is it common like a bad earth somewhere or are my clocks foo barred. Please help or I'm weighing the piece of poo in ;-)

Check the connections behind the clocks first. Speedo is mechanical drive, so that's why that is unaffected, but lighting, fuel and temp are controlled by the wiring. This could be an earth but I don't know which ones would cause this problem sorry! Rev counter looks pneumatic to me!? There is a thin(ish) tube a bit like the vacuum lines in the bay, that just pushes onto a connector at the back of the clocks. The end could have become disconnected or split over time. Worth checking as it's free and easy before panicking about earths or replacement clocks. :o