Danwalker

standard immobiliser removal

hello everyone anyone know how easy or difficult it is to take the immobiliser out of an early 1.8 16v as mine doesn't work and is just cluttering up the engine bay. cheers.Dan

Wouldn't have thought it was standard on an early 16v?

I would guess that the immobiliser would probably isolate either the ignition, fuel pump or both as the KR has no proper ECU to speak of.

i think vw offered a standard alarm/immob from new but was basically an add on kit from scorpion iirc.

depends on your skills, should be easy enough but if in doubt get an auto elec out

I also found an original alarm/immobiliser that had previously been disconnected last week. Control unit was behind the glove box. Wiring went into ignition loom and controlled all the above (ignition/fuel/coil). If you drop the panels under the steering wheel, you should see where it's spliced in. My aftermarket one died just before Xmas, and I disconnected that to get it running. The cabling into the bay on mine had been snipped and taped up, but you should be able to see where it comes through the firewall just below the coil. I got a mixed bad of grommets from halfords for a couple of quid, and one of em fitted perfectly to seal that up. Hope this helps mate.

I also found an original alarm/immobiliser that had previously been disconnected last week. Control unit was behind the glove box. Wiring went into ignition loom and controlled all the above (ignition/fuel/coil). If you drop the panels under the steering wheel, you should see where it's spliced in. My aftermarket one died just before Xmas, and I disconnected that to get it running. The cabling into the bay on mine had been snipped and taped up, but you should be able to see where it comes through the firewall just below the coil. I got a mixed bad of grommets from halfords for a couple of quid, and one of em fitted perfectly to seal that up. Hope this helps mate.

Cheers ill check that out at the weekend and i will post what i find or dont find lol. Thanks again Dan

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

i think vw offered a standard alarm/immob from new but was basically an add on kit from scorpion iirc.

depends on your skills, should be easy enough but if in doubt get an auto elec out

yep its a scorpion system

ive got some shabby wiring next to the coil on my 1990....it doesnt have any alarm oon it now but the immob bits are still on the dash and the sounder next to the coil..can i just rip it out??

As long as it's properly disconnected all should be fine to take the rest out. Just trace the wires back rather than snip em off, that should leave you with all bases covered mate.

i want it back how it should be without some fools shabby wiring..ive got a few wires around the coil..ones to the engine..ill take a pic and show you the mess

found a live unfused wire in the boot...prob for a amp..some ppl