Aran

First time Corrado buyer - looking to purchase this weekend

Hello everyone,

I wanted a Corrado for ages, and I've manned up enough to shell out for one now. I wanted to ask everyone's advice as to what to look out for when purchasing for the first time. Let me quickly summarize what i'm looking at.

Corrado VR6 1994 M Reg

Stock apart from exhaust / rear light clusters

Brand new heater matrix included along with original speedline alloys and tyres

Timing chain changed 30,000 miles ago; head rebuilt at same time

Miles 140k now

Some spots of rust (don't know where yet, will view on the car)

Most common faults not present (electric mirrors, sunroof and spoiler all work fine) - only issue is heating only fires on 1,3 and 4

I'm confident that the car has been taken care of, the only point of worry is where these "spots of rust" are. Are there any areas on the Corrado in particular I should watch out for?

Any other points on the car which are common future problems on Corrados which I should be looking out for now?

Thanks for the help guys; i'm really looking forward to the potential purchase!!

Best Regards,

Aran

Welcome aboard!

There is a buyers guide which is well worth a peruse:

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

The Corrado generally is pretty good in terms of rust and you only really generally tend to get rust come through from accident repair work - but other occasional problem spots are around the windscreen, the arches (the tops and where they come down and join the sill). You can also get it show up in just random little places so just poke around the car carefully.

Keep us posted and let us know if you end up buying it! Timing chains being done is a big plus, and the heater matrix is a crappy job so another bonus :)

Hello, check behind the corrado badge on the rear, the fuel filler surround, around the back lights, the sills (esp at the front corners), around the side indicators on the wings and well... the list could be rather long.

First thing to check is the radiator support beam, check the tin under the radiator is in good condition. I've found this to be a good indicator of the cars condition if it's not been changed already. Good luck and take your time looking for the right corrado.

Hmm, has the heater matrix been changed or is the spare thrown in with the sale?

If it has never been changed then chances are it will need doing soon. If the matrix is included in the sale then perhaps the original is on the way out?

it is a dashboard out job to replace, but you could use it to negotiate the price.

Sounds like its had some expensive jobs already taken care of, milage is not to much of a concern with the Vr6 if it has good history.

However body colour is very important, Blackberrys are worth at least double the value of any other colour, as its the best.............this will now be backed up by every other member :)

However body colour is very important, Blackberrys are worth at least double the value of any other colour, as its the best.............this will now be backed up by every other member :)

+1 :thumbleft:

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info; really useful - will give it a proper going over when i'm there. I'll post pictures if I end up buying it!

Cheers,

Aran

lol at the colour comments! i prefer black cars so i wouldnt pay any more for a blackberry one :)

aran rust can be an issue but depends on how much you buy the car for in the first place and your intentions with the car? you want a keeper? , mine had rust which was an absolute pita to sort out, i still havnet finished sorting it out yet but hopefuly next month it should be done n dusted, if i could do it all again i would of waited and spent alot more on one with good bodywork as thats where the money is, parts can be replaced like for like over most weekends at little cost but bodywork cant,

Not sure if you've bought one yet but i agree with VW_OwneR_85. I rushed in and biught one with rust. I regretted it. It was a nightmare to sell and the work was too expensive to pay for. Save up and get a one with good bodywork.