bmcc

Headlight problem, possibly uprated loom

I seem to have a problem at moment with headlights

I put lights on and when both on they arent on properly, very dull, changed bulbs and no change! So can rule out bulb problems, when i put full beam on the passenger side one works and drivers side doesnt at all, the light has no change on drivers side. Again this is new bulbs also.

Now for MOT it needed a bulb and i changed a minifuse in the uprated loom, but noticed it has had water in it as was all the white corrosion type way on terminal in small fuse holder bit where it goes, still has this problem but cleaned with wire brush slightly on all of them

But i cant seem to get the main lights on properly or drivers side full beam to go on

I dont know how i can check any further or what to do next, can i revert back to old way and take loom out? Or any one else suffered similar problems?

get a cheap relay and replace it in the loom, sounds lke the relay has water in it too, they really aren't designed to go in the engine bay and need protecting well

standard switching relay is about an inch square, sometimes a bit longer, 4 wires to it, live feed, earth, switching feed and output (to your bulb), if you have 4 then it's likely each side has a separate relay and one for dip and one for main beam, best way to do it as you don't loose all lighting if one relay sticks.

yeah that sounds about right size mate, and there are two in each side.

i would probably just replace all 4 as im sure if one has died the others will surely follow suit and cant be arsed getting caught out one night with a headlight problem!!

where would i get relays from? they a special kind or anything?

yeah that sounds about right size mate, and there are two in each side.

i would probably just replace all 4 as im sure if one has died the others will surely follow suit and cant be arsed getting caught out one night with a headlight problem!!

where would i get relays from? they a special kind or anything?

Maplins should sell them.

Ian.

cheers guys, i am hoping this solves my problem, what about the small minifuse holders though, could you reckon there could be any problem with them and are they replaceable as easy?

Usually they are separate and just connect up with spade terminals, should be easy enough, can you show us some close up pics of the loom parts?

unfortunately i cant as i am offshore at moment, the loom has been fitted already, just problems with it i think mikevr6

was thinking about hids instead possibly, but dont know what that entails either

With the HIDS not only will you have to fit the HIDs but also they'll have to be self levelling and have washers. So its not just a case of fitting the lighting.