axcel01uk

Water Light Flashing after Expansion tank change on my VR6.

Hi guys & gals

Well thought it would be a great idea to change the expansion tank on my VR as the other one was looking a bit crusty. I know it was probably cheaper to swap for a

mk4 golf expansion tank but plumped for a genuine vr6 one at £34.99 plus postage.

Fitting was pretty straight forward, got the new one in and topped up coolant and reconnected wiring for level sensor etc. However, about 5-10 seconds after engine start up the water level light starts to flash on the dashboad??, Now there are no leaks, the hoses seem fully pressurised and get nice and hot. The engine gets to normal running tempature fine and all the fans come on etc. The water tempature is not going above 90c but I still have this bloody light flashing.

Could it be a faulty expansion tank ?? is there anyway to check ? or perhaps an airlock of somekind.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

disconnect the connector on the tank, does the light go out? if the coolant level is correct after replacment, it could well be a faulty expansion bottle.

Thanks for the quick reply, I just disconnected the connector on the tank and the light still did not go out ?? really strange was fine before !! why on why do I attempt these sort of jobs on my own !! When replacing the tank I just disconnected the pipes attached to tank and drained the coolant was this correct, should I have drained the system totally from perhaps the bottom radiator hose ?

Did you manage to get the connectors wet when you were changing the coolant. Maybe it just need time to dry out.

I swapped it over on Thursday night and didnt have time to check everything and start the car until today so I guess even if I did get the connectors wet they would have had time to dry out. Did I do the right thing by draining the coolant from the old expansion tank should I have drained from somewhere else and perhaps there is now an airlock of some kind ?

Draining from the radiator bottom hose is just better at getting rid of all the old coolant.

Could be a faulty expansion tank that you have? Could you not just plug the old expansion tank back to see if the light still flashes etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys, it was a faulty part. I put the old one back on and works a treat again with no light. Will have to send new one back for a replacment.

The light won't go off when you unplug it, the plug needs bridging to test and the level of the water in the tank completes the circuit.

Given the old one works, I suspect the one or both of the metal contacts in the new tank are not making contact with the Corrado's connector. The circuit design is too simple for a complex failure. Or, the Corrado's connector has a pushed back pin. Worth checking.