Johnny H

Cold start problems

Hi Guys.

Don't know if anyone can help but i've got a problem starting when she is cold.

She will turn over but i've got to hold the revs to about 1.5 for a few mins or she will cut out, when she is warm she will tick over fine.

Any idea would be great.

Thanks Johnny

I'm not 100% but I think it's that valve I mentioned with the tape on. It had been fitted badly and was leaking air, I found it and after taping it up it cured the problem almost fully. Just as you say having to hold the throttle for a few minutes. The tape I used was not sticky and so is still leaking air a little.

I'm not 100% but I think it's that valve I mentioned with the tape on. It had been fitted badly and was leaking air, I found it and after taping it up it cured the problem almost fully. Just as you say having to hold the throttle for a few minutes. The tape I used was not sticky and so is still leaking air a little.

I'll try and get a new one if i know what its called?? any ideas mate?

PCV breather valve. VW will try to sell you the whole inlet pipe with it, so just ask for the Sharan VR6 one, as it's the same ;)

You can actually just connect it with a normal pipe- early VR6s had this setup. Or you could fit a catch can instead.

If it turns out not to be this causing the prob, check all the intake pipework and ISV for leakage. Check underneath the pipes etc as sometimes the tiniest split can cause these sorts of probs.