vw_john

Power steering help!!

took the power steering pump off to get at the thermostat, let it hang down while doing the stat, put it back on and now i have no power steering?!

belts tight and turning the pulley, plenty of fluid, cant think what it could be!!

Have the pipes kinked when you re-hung them? Have a look under, and see if they are twisted round each other or kinked as said. That's the first port of call anyway.

thanks for the reply, I have done that, and nothing seems amiss, that's why I'm so confused, i refuse to believe that the thing has just gone as I took it off.

Yeah fair enough. Have you tried bleeding it just in case? Just take filler cap off and go full lock to full lock a couple of times with the engine running. Doubt it would be the cause for total failure that your experiencing but worth a pop I suppose?

Yeah fair enough. Have you tried bleeding it just in case? Just take filler cap off and go full lock to full lock a couple of times with the engine running. Doubt it would be the cause for total failure that your experiencing but worth a pop I suppose?

+1.

It will start to work

you think? i been driving it for a couple of days now, does it not self bleed? i'll take the cap off and try turning it lock to lock see what happens.

cheers

don't know what you mean, there is a relief valve inside the pump body and a rack will self bleed after being drained down, lock to lock and a bit of driving and all the air works it's way out of the rack.

but total failure of PAS in both directions suggests the pump is the problem

right, I had the lid off, turned both ways full lock, right lock seems stiffer toward full lock? that might be because the arch lining on the left got damaged recently though.

although it has seemed to free up a small amount , but that could be because i have done it so much now I'm ripped like Hulk Hogan.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

i would have immediatly assumed the pump but it just stopped working when it came off, and it wasn't knocked about so it shouldn't have broken

Were any pipes taken off from the pump? Was the belt fitted properly? If all good then it points to the pump... Maybe coincidence it fail when you moved maibe

Shouldn't have but were talking old cars and parts here wouldn't be the first time I heard of/experienced a part coming off in working order and then faulty when bolted back up, What engines it off? You might be suprised how many vw power steering pumps are similar enough to find a spare at the local scrappy. There not cheap new.

belts tight, and none of the pipes were taken off. Hmm I suppose more unusual things have happened. it's the PG g60 one, done some research and they are specific. :brickwall:

Hi, I agree there is a specific part code for the G60 pump. However, others do fit. You'll notice that both hoses are flexible, allowing for a pump with a horizontal pipe to still work. I just fitted one from a M reg Corrado 8v to my G60, with no issues today. And quite a lot of the mk3 golf units fit as well (and they are easily found at the local scrappies). Do not over tension the belt, and bleed as stated before - res cap off,full lock to full lock. If that doesn't work, and all you have interfered with is the pump - then it's the pump. Enjoy.

Right, got a used pump, put it on, power steering is working!!! However, it sounds like a wookie when turning the wheel. Not what I'd hope for, did all the priming and stuff. how can i get rid of the noise or does it sound like the bearings are knackered?

well, i just had a go at loosening it, how tight is it supposed to be? because i just tried to make it more loose and every time i tried to tighten the pump back on the belt got tighter, no matter what order i did the three bolts back up in!

although the noise is quieter, maybe its just abit of air in the system? or would that be a squeek?

cheers