Sign in to follow this  
Blown

Well, you live and learn..

Found out something new today.

I went to refit my head and found that the headbolts were too large and had a mahoosive washer fitted to them.

I phoned C+R and they said that they may actually be for the Golf rallye G60 instead of the C G60. :shock:

Why would they be different if they use the same engine,or is it a different series?

I would've thought that they were the same engine so all the parts were the same but apparently there are some differences.

Does anyone know of other(useful)changes between the two engines?

Does the Rallye have a bigger I/C for instance or does it use the same as the Corrado?

By the way,whats the opinion on my new avatar? :oops: :?

the rallye does have a bigger intercooler.

the capacity of the engine is also slightly smaller.

i heard poeple say the rallye engine is stronger, but i am not sure :?

i am sure theres some ppl on here who know the differences

Rallye engine is 1763cc. That size due to Rally regulations to get it under the 2500cc effective capacity limit.

According the handbook, the G60 engine is 1781cc.

K

Errrm... I've now got a Rallye block (1H) instead of my dead Corrado G60 block (PG) and I can confirm that the head bolts are COMPLETELY different.... The 1H Block had the uprated bolts (M12) to take the extra demands that rallying was going to throw at the car and it also had very slightly different water and oil jackets to the PG block... (PG had M10 Bolts)

I've just found this out the hard way after thinking I'd stripped the threads when I was trying to use the PG headbolts then realising that they should have been 1H bolts... :roll:

The intercooler on the Rallye was also LOTS bigger than the Corrado's pants shoebox one, and had larger diameter inlet and outlet pipes, although the Golf G60 had the same sized intercooler core as the Rallye, but the same size inlet/outlet pipes as the Corrado... Guess who's also now got a Golf G60 intercooler on his Corrado! ;) :lol: 8)

Comparative pic of bolts attached... 8)

Yup,thems the bolts! :lol:

Just be thankful you don't have to torque those sods up and then add the extra 180degrees! My arms were well tired after doing all 10 of them, and I think I may have bent my big ratchet's handle doing them! :shock: